Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Cracked Bezel MacBook Air M2

I'm not too sure how it has happened but a crack has formed on the metallic bezel at the bottom of my MacBook screen. It is localised to a single point and almost looks like it may have been caused by the hinge itself. There has definitely never been any debris close enough to the laptop to cause this type of damage, unless a bit of dirt or cat hair managed to cause the bezel to break (which seems unlikely, unless the apple screen it just very weak).

Has anyone experienced something like this?

MacBook Air, macOS 13.2

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 4:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 6:07 PM

STAY AWAY from M2 MacBook.

Apple refused to take care of self-destructing screen bezel today, appleCare+ didn’t help. After 2 hours wasted, $99 repair is all I could get.

39 replies

Nov 2, 2023 12:51 AM in response to Bethy_123

An identical thing happened to mine and I am super careful. This is crazy. I had my MacBook Air from 2020 for 3 years and it never had this issue. My M2 is only 1.5 months old and the bezel is already cracked? This is nuts! Can't Apple be held responsible? This makes me so sad :(

Is this really going to cost $400? for a brand new machine that is used gently daily??? There has to be a design flaw.

Dec 14, 2023 4:53 AM in response to Bethy_123

I have the same kind of crack and it has caused my entire screen to go permanently grey, even if I hold control+option+command+power button it only goes black for a few seconds before coming back on grey, it has cracked before and the cost to repair it was about $400. I ended up getting a new computer because the other one was old anyway but after just a few months It’s broken again. This is really infuriating and I’m going to try to get as much money back as I can for this laptop and get a different computer, not using Macs anymore, this is stupid.

Jan 13, 2024 7:56 PM in response to Bethy_123

Just happened to me with my M2 Macbook Air (Model # A2681) less than 3 months after purchase. Closed the screen, reopened it and found a huge screen bezel crack by the left-side hinge. I am not sure if it happened from pressure being applied to the screen while closing it or the hinge itself is defective. I never used any screen cover or keyboard cover accessories. Also Apple offers no way of replacing the bezel piece only so they have to order a whole new screen to repair this.

Apr 10, 2023 9:21 PM in response to Juliaakhmetova

This is exactly what the crack on mine looks like! Like the hinge itself shattered the screen. And I've been googling and there doesn't appear to be any Apple endorsed screen protectors which cover that part of the bezel (the only apple endorsed screen protector is Belkin TruePrivacy™ 13" Screen Protection for MacBook Air/Pro - which doesn't cover the bezel).

It is sad to hear this has happened to other people. Seems to be a design fault or weak materials. You shouldn't be worried your screen will crack every time you close your laptop.

Cracked Bezel MacBook Air M2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.