Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue screen then iMac 24" crashes

Ventura 13.2.1

I'm experiencing a recurring problem with the iMac suddenly crashing. It often starts with the briefest flash of a blue screen then shuts down. I'm strict about what apps are downloaded, so in addition to the default MacOS set, there's only Adobe Creative Cloud software, Microsoft Office 365 and a very limited number of others, e.g., a job timing app.

It's not just a Ventura problem either, as it happened with Monterey too. Sometimes it's even meant resorting to startup options and selecting the Macintosh HD icon to restart it. However, on one occasion I had to select Options and, luckily, after a lot of panic, fearing it might need a complete OS reinstallation (all my folders are backed up to the cloud and external drives), managed to find the HD drive icon.

Would it help to run Disk Utility and if so which level of drive should be selected? Sorry this is something I've never really grasped.

iMac 24" M1

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 5:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 6:44 AM

After that I would create a new User to see if the problem shows up under that User as well. Delete the new User when done and if the problems stopped, concentrate on the apps installed.

Also try booting into Safe Mode, which repairs disk, clear caches, and loads only system software.

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 29, 2023 6:35 AM in response to Michael McMann1

Apple recommends starting at the bottom and working your way up. You will want to boot into Recovery Mode for a startup disk. Here is some info:

How to repair a Mac disk with Disk Utility - Apple Support

Something else I would check is Apple Diagnostics. It was formally called Apple Hardware Test. Since the issue you are experiencing is not specific to the OS, it may be a good idea to check the hardware. Here is the info:

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Blue screen then iMac 24" crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.