Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So what do you do if your oldish Mac refuses to change the email address for your Apple ID?

How do you get an old Mac to realise that you have changed your email address and therefore Apple ID? It just doesn't recognise it, and all attempts to change it following various forum instructions have failed!

Done it successfully on iPhone and iPad, but old Mac won't play ball: keeps prompting me to sign in with the old email address, which doesn't work!!

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 2:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 11:10 AM

Hello TS46,

Based on what you've shared, specifically your Mac model and macOS version, you will likely need to take the steps listed here: What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

It will be necessary to follow each step listed under the Mac section for each feature.

Regards.

2 replies

Apr 5, 2023 8:14 AM in response to Drew_7

Thanks Drew,

It was actually iCloud that I couldn’t get into on my old Mac and it kept prompting me to sign in using the old email address.

I followed the instructions given in the attachment you had sent me and it finally worked!

I had got as far as thinking I should sign out of iCloud, but then up came dire warnings about losing stuff if I did so I had chickened out of trying that. The instructions on Apple were more reassuring in that it promised I’d get it all back again when I signed in with the changed Apple ID. So I did it, held my breath, and it worked! A few anxious moments when the new sign in gave a “Verification failed” notice, but it was successful at 4th attempt!

So many thanks again.

So what do you do if your oldish Mac refuses to change the email address for your Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.