iPad mini 5 battery draining overnight

I have an iPad Mini 5 64gb (16.3.1) purchased new in April 2021, which I keep on a bedstand overnight. Some nights I leave it plugged in to recharge, other nights that's not needed. In all cases, it's left in Airplane mode, Bluetooth is off and cellular is off (no SIM card). Strangely, during the past week on the three nights it hasn't been charging, I've awakened several hours later to find the battery indicator down 20-25%, e.g., 91% --> 69%. OTOH, I haven't seen this happen during the day, even with Airplane mode turned off and wi-fi connected. My bedroom temperature overnight is typically in the low 60's F. Any ideas why this might be happening?

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2023 1:47 PM

Hello highstream,

Welcome back to Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like Bluetooth is contributing to the issue. You can make sure it's turned off in Settings, instead of disconnected in Control Center. See the full details here:

"Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

If you want to completely disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for all networks and devices, follow these steps:

• To turn off Wi-Fi, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn off Wi-Fi.
  • To turn off Bluetooth, go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.

For the best experience on your iOS or iPadOS device, try to keep Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.

Airplane Mode may also turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, unless you turned them on while in Airplane Mode. Learn more about how to use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in Airplane Mode."

This Apple Support page has the full details: Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center - Apple Support

This will help ensure Bluetooth is fully turned off on your device.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2023 1:47 PM in response to highstream

Hello highstream,

Welcome back to Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like Bluetooth is contributing to the issue. You can make sure it's turned off in Settings, instead of disconnected in Control Center. See the full details here:

"Turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth

If you want to completely disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for all networks and devices, follow these steps:

• To turn off Wi-Fi, go to Settings > Wi-Fi and turn off Wi-Fi.
  • To turn off Bluetooth, go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.

For the best experience on your iOS or iPadOS device, try to keep Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.

Airplane Mode may also turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, unless you turned them on while in Airplane Mode. Learn more about how to use Wi-Fi and Bluetooth in Airplane Mode."

This Apple Support page has the full details: Use Bluetooth and Wi-Fi in Control Center - Apple Support

This will help ensure Bluetooth is fully turned off on your device.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Cheers!

Apr 20, 2023 2:23 PM in response to justin_900

Aargh! This thread is not about how to turn off Bluetooth, which I obviously know how to do based on my posts (and 10 years using a Mini), but how it's turning on without my directly doing so.

I did not mention using the Control Center for Bluetooth, not the least because Bluetooth is not listed there. It's right up top in Settings after Airplane Mode and Wi-Fi.

iPad mini 5 battery draining overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.