iPad Extended Desktop not working

I have been happily using my new iPad Pro M2 with an external display to extend (not mirror) my desktop. However since updating to 16.4 last night my external monitor only mirrors the iPad screen.

Has Apple disabled this amazing feature or is there a new (and seemingly not obvious) way to set it up?

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 2:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2023 6:55 PM

Still an issue with me, IPad Pro M2 11inch only mirroring on certain displays… On IPADOS 17!!! So frustrating, when will this bug be fixed?

39 replies

Apr 22, 2023 12:04 PM in response to CrimeScene

iPad Pro with M1 chip running iPadOS 16.4.1, and same problem as everyone above (i.e., can mirror iPad display, but not extend the display to a monitor). I get no “Arrangement” option in the “Display and Brightness” setting of iPadOS. I did not try connecting an external monitor until today, so cannot say if the problem in my case is specific to this version of the iPadOS operating system. My external monitor is a 1920x1080 display with a DVI connector (no HDMI available) - it is not a recent vintage. Directly connecting from the monitor to the iPad Pro, or going through a dongle, has the same issue.

I have submitted a bug report to Apple via the link that someone left in the chain of messages above. Thank you.

May 21, 2024 2:41 PM in response to rupert217

rupert217 wrote:

I have just discovered this issue. I have no option for screen alignment when my iPad Pro 2018 is connected to my external monitor via HDMi and USB C port.

I’m unsure if it’s a software issue, a USB C or cable issue or the fact my iPad is too old (although Apple suggests it should work for every generation iPad Pro.

Not all models of iPad Pro support Stage Manager.

Due to limitations of internal hardware, the new Stage Manager feature (that provides the full extended desktop) introduced with iPadOS 16.1 is only available for these models of iPad:

• iPad Air (5th generation and later)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (all generations)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later)

Feature availability is usually limited by system hardware - CPU and available RAM being critical to some advanced functionality.

Other iPad models only provide screen mirroring.

Not sure which iPad you have? Identify your iPad model.

Additional information can be found here:

Turn Stage Manager on or off on your iPad - Apple Support

Apr 21, 2023 2:52 PM in response to LotusPilot

As tagged as "best answer" this answer should contain the information that this behaviour IS a bug - as some others already mentioned, it worked fine in iPadOS 16.3! I have a case even more weird with my beamer that is capable of 1920x1080 but of course can switch to other resolutions too. While working perfect with iPadOS 16.3 it now has really weird behaviour - connecting to the iPad the extended desktop with stage manager starts, BUT IN 1600x1200 RESOLUTION as if it was mirroring. Opening e.g. Prime Video "changes" the resolution (beamer picture pauses, new source sync) to AGAIN 1600x1200! And if starting to play a movie in most cases but not always resolution changes to 1920x1080 (beamer picture pauses, new source sync).

What a mess compaired to iPadOS 16.3 - and it's still there in 16.4.1! A bug that really reduces the entertainment factor :(

Feb 10, 2024 11:31 PM in response to CrimeScene

I updated to iOS 17.3.1 today and I could use the external display feature before on the previous update but now it fails to initiate the external display and just mirrors it. I have the iPad Pro 3rd gen with the M1 processor, with the Logitech combo touch keyboard attachment and my USB-C display adapter supports charging too. I have not changed the HDMI cable or the HDMI settings on my 4K TV that was working fine before. I have checked and I cannot change them. It is really disappointing, the reliability of this feature from Apple. Doubt they care about their users each time they release a new update judging by the other comments with updating to the latest software.

Even on the cheapest and weakest $200 windows laptop, the extended display from windows always has this basic feature available. Apple is just software limiting their customers such as myself. I still wouldn't recommend this as a feature to anybody.

Mar 26, 2024 8:52 AM in response to CobraBLS

CobraBLS wrote:

any news if this is fixed.

I've tried 4 different monitors, 2 with USB-C connection.
4K monitor from LG
and some HD monitors with the support of the Apple dongle to HDMI, but all I get is the mirroring option.

FYI, iPadOS 17.4.1 (released 21/3/2024) restores previous behaviour.

Unless directly interacting with Apps displayed on the external monitor, Stage Manager for a connected external display does not now require connection of a Keyboard and Wireless/Mouse Trackpad to the iPad.

Mar 30, 2023 2:42 AM in response to CrimeScene

Like you, I have a monitor that while recognised doesn’t provide access to the Arrangement settings - and another that does (from which the screenshots I have provided were derived).

The monitor that only allows mirrored display has a display resolution of 1280 x 1024 - whereas the monitor that supports the Stage Manager extended desktop is 16:9 widescreen 1920 x 1080.

Mar 30, 2023 5:51 AM in response to CrimeScene

Peace and good day!

I am relieved to see this on the community support pages. I am in a very similar situation following the latest 16.4 update. The last few months I’ve been extending my 12.9 M1 iPad Pro screen to a 22” Sceptre branded monitor. Up until 16.4 there were no issues and it worked exactly as Apple advertised. However, following the 16.4 update the option to change the displays arrangement goes away within the display settings panel. Similarly to you this simply just stopped working after the update. Additionally and strangely enough my iPad DOES work correctly with SOME displays but for whatever reason after 16.4 it does not work with my Sceptre branded display. Peace and good day!

Mar 30, 2023 3:06 AM in response to CrimeScene

You’re very welcome.

I’ve not found any documentation that suggests availability of Stage Manager is linked to the aspect-ratio or native resolution of the external display. This behaviour may be a bug introduced with iPadOS 16.4.

You might consider submitting a Bug Report via Apple’s Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Every report counts - as until a sufficient number of reports have been received, Apple may not allocate resources to identify and fix the problem.

Mar 30, 2023 2:56 AM in response to LotusPilot

Well done @LotusPilot that is a perfect answer. I unplugged my iPad and HDMI / USB-C cable from the monitor I have been using with 16.3 and plugged it into another monitor (with 16:9 ratio and 1920x1080).

Guess what!?! It worked and I can now (again) extend my desktop.

I am totally baffled as the other monitor has been working fine so why would Apple break it in 16.4 and force to me use the different monitor.

Weird!

Anyway, all good now.

Thanks again.

iPad Extended Desktop not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.