You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple expands tools to help businesses connect with customers. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am using ios 16.4 to scan my tax documents. The issue is that the file sizes are way to large >2 mb to 15mb.

How to get a pdf file size that can be transmitted ? Typically less than 1 mb. Why are the scanned images getting so large? I never had a problem like this in my 20 years of scanning files?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 8:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 8:57 AM

Are you scanning them to a Mac as suggested by the support document you posted from? Or If so, what app on the Mac are you using? Pages? Something else?

Or are you scanning them directly on the iPhone? If so, what app on the iPhone are you using? Notes? Something else?

By definition the iPhone scans are in the highest quality possible. Scans through other means would be of lesser quality or possibly compressed. The iPhone produces larger images and as such larger files. With said, I just scanned a document into Pages on the Mac and then exported it as PDF and it produced a 3.4MB file. Easily sendable over email.

How are you trying to transmit it exactly the requires such small files?

For example Pages on the Mac can reduce the file size of the document before you export it as a PDF by going to the File Menu ➜ Reduce File Size.

And when you Export it as a PDF, you can change the image quality, from Best to Better or just Good to also reduce the file size.

Outside of that, you can always use online services to compress the PDF file such as Adobe's own free PDF compressor: https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/online/compress-pdf.html

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 30, 2023 8:57 AM in response to Tallships

Are you scanning them to a Mac as suggested by the support document you posted from? Or If so, what app on the Mac are you using? Pages? Something else?

Or are you scanning them directly on the iPhone? If so, what app on the iPhone are you using? Notes? Something else?

By definition the iPhone scans are in the highest quality possible. Scans through other means would be of lesser quality or possibly compressed. The iPhone produces larger images and as such larger files. With said, I just scanned a document into Pages on the Mac and then exported it as PDF and it produced a 3.4MB file. Easily sendable over email.

How are you trying to transmit it exactly the requires such small files?

For example Pages on the Mac can reduce the file size of the document before you export it as a PDF by going to the File Menu ➜ Reduce File Size.

And when you Export it as a PDF, you can change the image quality, from Best to Better or just Good to also reduce the file size.

Outside of that, you can always use online services to compress the PDF file such as Adobe's own free PDF compressor: https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/online/compress-pdf.html

I am using ios 16.4 to scan my tax documents. The issue is that the file sizes are way to large >2 mb to 15mb.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.