Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot login to Apple ID on older Mac

Hello,

I have multiple Apple devices that are the latest and greatest but I do have a mid-2011 27" Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6. This is the latest OS my machine is capable of using. Other than a few GPU glitches over the years, it has been a great machine.

I booted it up recently and I attempted to login to my Apple ID. It gave me a message saying "Can't Use Your Apple ID on This Device" and this was not the case the last time I used it several months ago.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on this or do I now have a glorified word processor.

Thanks

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Mar 30, 2023 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 2:32 PM

Hi BDAqua,

FYI and thanks for your interest.

I dug into this issue and realized that "Advanced Data Protection" was introduced with Ventura 13.1 sometime at the end of last year. I turned it on for all of my trusted devices. As I have not had this older machine on after that until now, it did not make the list. I think I can disable the data protection feature and log my old machine in but I only use this machine occasionally. Every time I boot this machine up, I'm waiting for the GPU to kick it again :-) It's a shame because this has been a great machine and still is for now.

This is the message I received on my old Mac:

This is my older machine:

Here is the Apple info on Advanced Data Protection:

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2023 2:32 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

FYI and thanks for your interest.

I dug into this issue and realized that "Advanced Data Protection" was introduced with Ventura 13.1 sometime at the end of last year. I turned it on for all of my trusted devices. As I have not had this older machine on after that until now, it did not make the list. I think I can disable the data protection feature and log my old machine in but I only use this machine occasionally. Every time I boot this machine up, I'm waiting for the GPU to kick it again :-) It's a shame because this has been a great machine and still is for now.

This is the message I received on my old Mac:

This is my older machine:

Here is the Apple info on Advanced Data Protection:

Cannot login to Apple ID on older Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.