Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

update my Apple ID and it says to enter the password for an Apple ID email that I do not have access to anymore

Years ago and a couple of generations of iPhone ago I would see this message. I just upgraded from 11 Pro Max to 14 Pro Max and here is is again.

So annoying and the model 11 NEVER had the issue so why now?

"Sign in with Apple id"

"Enter the password for your Apple id...."

sometimes the only way to get rid of the message is a hard reboot of the phone.

But it is NOT my id, it is my sisters from the days on "family sharing' in iTunes. Does anyone remember the fix for this? I know I found one years ago but can't seem to locate it.

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 7:06 AM

It is may be there's an app that wants updating that your sister purchased and you downloaded when she was part of Family Sharing. When setting up the new iPhone it is trying to redownload old apps you had on your account, but if your sister is no longer part of the Family Sharing group then you will have to buy the app yourself.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2023 7:06 AM in response to gchdrake

It is may be there's an app that wants updating that your sister purchased and you downloaded when she was part of Family Sharing. When setting up the new iPhone it is trying to redownload old apps you had on your account, but if your sister is no longer part of the Family Sharing group then you will have to buy the app yourself.

Mar 31, 2023 7:43 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks,

We never shared apps, only music and it is more than one email address it is asking to verify. This is the same response Apple Support gave me and their "solution" is to reset the phone and redownload all the apps independently, not using backup. This is insane, the amount of time involved is way too much.

I know I found a different solution years ago (this did not happen to my 11-Pro-Max for the entire time I had it) I just need to find it....

Apr 1, 2023 7:09 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks.

The simple answer to the origin of the issue is that we shared song lists at the beach, that is when it all started happening 6 or so years ago. I am pretty confident that what happened is that as we shared songs different family members had downloaded tunes and as we copied them to our devices the issue appeared. This was also in the early stages of the Family sharing option in iTunes.

I believe it is a legacy issue.

The anomaly is that this never happened with my iPhone 11 for the entire length of ownership. If I pull that phone out of the drawer right now and turn it on I will not see these messages. Same setup, same cloud backup, same apps, same songs. It doesn't make much sense....

Apr 1, 2023 12:36 PM in response to gchdrake

Apps, songs, it's the same thing. If for any reason your device needs to update them or redownload them, it will require the ID that was used to purchase them originally, or connection to that ID via Family Sharing. I don't know offhand why this device is doing this. It may be the songs lists are trying to download the songs to which you no longer have permission to get access.

Apr 2, 2023 4:50 AM in response to Limnos

The tracks already exist in iTunes on my iPhone and have for years. That is why it is so odd that this issue did not appear on my 11 Pro Max.

we shared tracks from beach playlists by compiling them on a cd. My sister and daughter apparently purchased the tunes from the iTunes store and the data carried over.

I have fixed the issue

update my Apple ID and it says to enter the password for an Apple ID email that I do not have access to anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.