Trying to find a foolproof way to save iTunes library onto another device

Hello, I have an older iMac using Mojave, and am hoping to sync my iTunes library onto my iPad, which is also older but software is up-to-date. Can I do this? I mainly want to be sure I don't accidentally erase my iTunes library from the Mac! Also -- if I successfully put iTunes library on my iPad, can I use the iPad to sync with my iPod Classic?

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 12:00 PM

To sync your iPad, connect to that Mac via USB and proceed per this guide: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support

You can sync the iPod the same way. (You will not be able to use the iPad to sync the iPod.)

Regarding the concern "I mainly want to be sure I don't accidentally erase my iTunes library from the Mac!": Connecting an iPad does not pose a threat of erasing the library on your computer. However, other things do, such as loss, physical damage, or HD failure. Make a backup!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2023 12:00 PM in response to carolspecmtn

To sync your iPad, connect to that Mac via USB and proceed per this guide: Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod using your computer - Apple Support

You can sync the iPod the same way. (You will not be able to use the iPad to sync the iPod.)

Regarding the concern "I mainly want to be sure I don't accidentally erase my iTunes library from the Mac!": Connecting an iPad does not pose a threat of erasing the library on your computer. However, other things do, such as loss, physical damage, or HD failure. Make a backup!

Trying to find a foolproof way to save iTunes library onto another device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.