Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook pro charging

I have a 2019 MacBook Pro and it will not charge when it is connected to an external display. I have done the resets, tried multiple adapters for HDMI, tried a different monitor, and tried different HDMI cords. It charges fine without the HDMI cord attached but turns to the plug instead of the lightening once I connect the HDMI and I just watch the power drop while I use it.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 12:26 PM

Hey Melissa_irene86,

It sounds like your external display is attempting to pull power from your Mac. You may need to ensure the external display's power cord is properly seated and connected to power. The steps linked below may also help ensure you're able to get things up and running properly.

Use an external display with your MacBook Pro

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2023 12:26 PM in response to Melissa_irene86

Hey Melissa_irene86,

It sounds like your external display is attempting to pull power from your Mac. You may need to ensure the external display's power cord is properly seated and connected to power. The steps linked below may also help ensure you're able to get things up and running properly.

Use an external display with your MacBook Pro

Cheers!

MacBook pro charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.