Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime Player has Problems on macOs Monterey 12.6.4

Quicktime Player Problems on macOS Monterey 12.6.4 after latest OS security patch.

Now Quicktime cannot play ANY file.

I have a MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Max, 64 GB

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 12:03 PM

Yeah was weird... I rebooted two times and finally its able to read the files. They were normal mp4 files. Not newly created either. So it had me searching everywhere for more folks having the same issue but I figured could be only me. Again, rebooted two times and issue seemed resolved.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2023 12:03 PM in response to dialabrain

Yeah was weird... I rebooted two times and finally its able to read the files. They were normal mp4 files. Not newly created either. So it had me searching everywhere for more folks having the same issue but I figured could be only me. Again, rebooted two times and issue seemed resolved.

Apr 13, 2023 5:49 AM in response to JoKrone

OK, but this happens all the time now, which is pretty annoying. I have the same problems when opening downloaded mp4 videos using QuickTime Player after the update to 12.6.4 and 12.6.5. I download videos using Firefox with "Easy YouTube Video Downloader Express" extension, for later offline viewing and archiving. That worked great so far and it still works on my older Intel iMac (macOS 13.6).

Immediately after downloading the video (usually 720p) it is possible to open and play it back. Now on my MacBook Air M1 with macOS 12.6.5 it also needs two reboots of the machine and the video will open and play back on QuickTime player. What is going on there?

Using VLC Player instead of QT Player, the video plays back immediately after download.(!) This very strange. Does some Apple technician have any good advice what to do? Two reboots aren't a really acceptable solution to the problem, IMHO.

One more thing: After the first update to macOS 12.6.4 I noticed some strange changes to the file permissions and ownership in my home directory, that prevented opening some of my text-, jpg, or psd files. After further investigation I was able to find that out and to fix the problem, but that shouldn't have happened after a minor macOS update.

Quicktime Player has Problems on macOs Monterey 12.6.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.