Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac venture 13.3 update cannot log in

The latest 13.3 update on my 2020 iMac has caused me a problem.

machine boots to logon screen. Password accepted for user. Then just hangs three with rotating circle. A notification about optimising or organising the system appears then goes. I’ve left machine on all night and same screen in morning. I do have an ext ssd that my home folders are on. Prior to the update all was fine.

any ideas please

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 31, 2023 3:06 PM

8 replies

Apr 1, 2023 7:17 AM in response to Joe90baptist

Joe90baptist wrote:

Thanks I will do that this evening.

You're welcome.

my worry is that if system is aware my home folders are on ext ssd, it will falter if it cannot find it. However I will try.

Not positive, but that could very well be the problem.

A better option is to keep your Home Folder on the internal drive with macOS, then only move your large Photos and Music Libraries off to the external drive.

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

Change where your music files are stored on Mac - Apple Support

thanks for your time.
john

No problem, keep us posted.

Mar 31, 2023 3:22 PM in response to den.thed

Yes I have been in safe mode. Also at login screen password accepted.

reponse -

unable to access at this time. My system uses wireless keyboard and mouse.

right now its sitting at the logon screen with my avatar and the rotating dots. Mouse is active and movable.

External ssd light on with a small flicker every now and then.

keyboard makes a pop sound when I touch keys.

Apr 1, 2023 11:18 AM in response to den.thed

I cannot move anything now until I can gain access to the system. I’ve been in safe mode now and the password is accepted to login but just sits at the login screen with circle rotating. I’ve left it all night. Came back and it’s still there with circle rotating. That was with ext ssd in and once with ssd disconnected. The internal ssd is only 500Gb but when the upgrade started half was still free.

I should have gone for the 2019 model, that can be ipgraded. My 2020 cannot be upgraded ssd wise.

would appreciate any further help.

what’s the procedure is I reset the machine and put my apps back on

iMac venture 13.3 update cannot log in

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.