Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Handoff not working anymore after update to Ventura 13.3

Since I bought a Mac Studio (october 2022) there are some problems without solution from the assistance, which has stopped answering me for months now… Last but not least, after the 13.3 update Handoff stopped working.. any suggestions?

Mac Studio, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 4:31 AM

Well, I've got the same problem, BT advanced functions like handoff, or worse, apple pay are gone every few hours after upgrade to 13.3 on Mini M2! Steps from here doesn't help, restart is required. This is unacceptable Apple, you're not Microsoft with millions combinations of hardware components to test!

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2023 4:31 AM in response to ezfastway

Well, I've got the same problem, BT advanced functions like handoff, or worse, apple pay are gone every few hours after upgrade to 13.3 on Mini M2! Steps from here doesn't help, restart is required. This is unacceptable Apple, you're not Microsoft with millions combinations of hardware components to test!

Apr 3, 2023 4:42 AM in response to ezfastway

I think the problemi is in the iCloud account , when handoff and other continuity functions don't working, you can't see the device list on your apple id account.. so I think the best way is to logout your account and relog in...

I absolutely agree with you.

Such behavior is unacceptable from Apple .. I have had another problem since October, I opened a support ticket and they haven't answered me for months ...

Apr 5, 2023 8:22 AM in response to ezfastway

Same here.

I run an iPhone with 16.4, an iPad with 16.4 and an Apple Silicon Mac with 13.3.

Handoff is working for apps like switching Pages, Safari, Mail, … between devices.

Handoff is not working for copy-paste.

Also Universal Control is not working like operating my iPad next to my Mac.

All requirements are met for the devices: Same Apple ID, Bluetooth enabled, Handoff enabled.

I have reported the specific issue to Apple.

On a general note: I am surprised that this is happening on rather late revisions of iOS, iPadOS and macOS.

Also the regression with QuickLook hanging after previewing GIFs.

Apr 1, 2023 4:24 AM in response to ezfastway

Hi!

If possible, try these recommendations:

1. Check that Handoff is enabled: Go to System Preferences > General and ensure that the option "Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices" is enabled.
  2. Check that Bluetooth is enabled: Handoff requires Bluetooth to be enabled on both your Mac and your other devices. Go to System Preferences > Bluetooth and ensure that Bluetooth is turned on.
  3. Sign out of iCloud and sign back in: Go to System Preferences > Apple ID and sign out of iCloud. Then sign back in and check if the Handoff feature is working.
  4. Restart your devices: Try restarting both your Mac and your other devices and see if the Handoff feature starts working again.
  5. Reset the Bluetooth module: If none of the above steps work, you can try resetting the Bluetooth module on your Mac. To do this, go to System Preferences > Bluetooth, hold down the Option key and click on the Bluetooth icon. Then select "Reset the Bluetooth module" and follow the prompts.

Apr 11, 2023 12:42 AM in response to ezfastway

Handoff has been problematic for me on quite a few OS updates. It's always tricky to solve because the same solution doesn't work every time.

Currently, Handoff sometimes works, and then stops, and then I have to reboot, which sometimes works. Now it's not anymore, so I'm going through the myriad of possible solutions. Sigh.

May 18, 2023 2:17 PM in response to ezfastway

FYI: According to the release notes for the latest OS releases: Ventura 13.4, iOS 16.5, etc... "Resolves an issue where Auto Unlock with Apple Watch does not long you into your Mac." I've installed and initially seems to be working. But as has been said many times the issue comes and goes. It took 3 days to show up after 13.3. So we'll see.

Apr 13, 2023 4:55 AM in response to ezfastway

This recurring problem is recurring again. (Handoff/Continuity/Login with AppleWatch) It used to happen frequently prior to Ventura. Up until macOS 13.3 I hadn't experienced any issues across iMac 24, MacBook Air M2, iPhone 14Pro, AppleWatch 8 and several iPads. After 13.3 it just stopped working with the two Macs. After following the steps signing out of iCloud brought it back. UNTIL 13.3.1. All devices are running the current versions. Now it's back again. I'm about to sign out of iCloud again to see if that fixes the issue this time around (again.) What Apple's advice to sign out of iCloud doesn't tell you is just how destructive that process is. I've lost data and settings each time I have to do that. Getting my bank card set back up on Apple Pay is a multi-day process.

An interesting note. Both times this occurred (13.3 and 13.3.1 and corresponding other updates) the problems manifested 4 days after updating systems to the latest OS updates. This is consistently inconsistent.

Apr 14, 2023 6:52 AM in response to warner272

I can confirm what @warner272 described:

The update to macOS 13.1.1 initially fixed all issues.

Then Handoff / Universal Clipboard stopped working for me again under 13.3.1 for my iPhone.

But this time a restart of the iPhone fixed the issue again (which was not the case before), and in the process a progress window appeared on the Mac for less than a second "connecting to iPhone" (or something like this).

The iPhone shows up in the Finder's sidebar and can be accessed from there. So the iPhone is generally visible to the Mac and part of my setup / Apple ID. But the configuration screen did not appear until I connected by cable. Then I had to "trust the device" again, which I had already done after the updates to the latest versions of iOS and macOS.

I checked the firewall settings as suggested by @VicoMurray: Universal Control is added to allow incoming connections.

For my iPad Handoff still works fine with my Mac, both Universal Control and Universal Clipboard.

On the iPad, too, the configuration screen in the Finder would not show up until I connected via Cable and did the "trust the device" step.

Apr 16, 2023 1:25 PM in response to micradar

@micradar on the Mac when it still works between iPhone and iPad. But I've also had more cases recently when nothing worked anywhere. I actually had to log my phone and iPad out of iCloud to get it working again the other day, which is such a hassle as it resets the preferences.

air drop has always been veeeery temperamental, but handoff used to be relatively stable

Handoff not working anymore after update to Ventura 13.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.