Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro can't see Epson Stylus Photo PX730WD scanner

Hi everyone!

I've searched far and wide on google and here in the community, but I can't find the solution to my problem.

I have a 2017 Mackbook Pro updated to Ventura 13.3 and an Epson Stylus Photo PX730WD multifunction printer.

Before upgrading to Ventura everything was working fine, but now there are some problems.

Since I upgraded to Ventura I can't use the scanner anymore. The printer works, but the Mac can't see the scanner. I have updated the drivers, I have deleted and reinstalled the printer, I have tried any method that I read have worked for others, I also went to check on VueScan site if my scanner is supported as it has been recommended in other posts, but it is not listed .

What else can I do? Please don't tell me the only things I have to do is to throw it out the window and get a new one.

Thanks in advance to anyone who will try to help me.

Have a nice day!

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 3:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 3:57 AM

Have you tried Apple's Image Capture software in your /Applications folder to see if it detects your scanner and scans from it? Epson issued a generic v12.62 driver in Dec 2022 for this device on Ventura. Have you installed that driver, rebooted your Mac, and tried scanning with Image Capture again?

VueScan Professional clearly states it supports the Epson Stylus PX730 scanner without any Epson or Apple software requirements. The trial VueScan software may not support every feature of the scanner until it is purchased.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2023 3:57 AM in response to starlight83

Have you tried Apple's Image Capture software in your /Applications folder to see if it detects your scanner and scans from it? Epson issued a generic v12.62 driver in Dec 2022 for this device on Ventura. Have you installed that driver, rebooted your Mac, and tried scanning with Image Capture again?

VueScan Professional clearly states it supports the Epson Stylus PX730 scanner without any Epson or Apple software requirements. The trial VueScan software may not support every feature of the scanner until it is purchased.

Apr 8, 2023 5:19 AM in response to VikingOSX

Sorry for the delay in responding but I couldn't do it before. Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately I have no way to directly connect the printer to the computer, I lack the cable needed to do this test because the printer needs a USB-B while the Mac needs a USB-C and I don't have this cable. I'll try to see if I can get it.

Unfortunately, the scanner button does not appear in the settings panel. There are only settings for printing.

As for the drivers, I just initialized the computer so no previous drivers were installed.

Apr 1, 2023 5:26 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you VikingOSX for your answer.

Once the Mac was updated, trying to scan with Image Capture was the first thing I did. Unfortunately it tells me that there is no device connected, despite the fact that the printer is connected to the computer by cable via a USB hub.

I updated to the latest Epson driver you mentioned, but the problem remains.

I tried to download VueScan and with it the scanner works, it just annoys me a little to have to pay for something when everything worked perfectly before.

In case I can't find an alternative solution, I will evaluate the purchase of VueScan. In the meantime, if there were other alternatives, they are all welcome!

Apr 1, 2023 5:56 AM in response to starlight83

Try connecting the PX730 directly to the Mac without the hub. In Settings > Printers & Scanners panel, is there anything there to further configure the scanner so Image Capture can detect it?

Also, when you install updated vendor drivers, you need to remove the device and re-add it via that aforementioned Settings panel. Failing to do this causes the device to continue using the previous drivers and not those you just installed.

Apr 8, 2023 6:55 AM in response to starlight83

I don't think you need a new scanner. According to the Epson website, it is compatible to use with Image Capture. I don't think you will get the Scan option in the Printer/Scanner settings anymore, but should work with Image Capture. I will wait for the results of bypassing the hub to see if it makes any difference. Some manufacturers had an additional ICA driver for using with Image Capture, but Epson claims that no additional ICA driver is needed as it should work in Image Capture with the standard driver provided by your OS.

https://www.epson.co.uk/en_GB/faq/KA-01353/contents?loc=en-us

MacBook Pro can't see Epson Stylus Photo PX730WD scanner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.