Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update Mac OS when the users folder is on an external drive

Is there a way to update Mac OS when the installation is on the internal ssd but the users account and all my data is on an external ssd?

Because I was on Monterey and everything was working fine until I went to update to the latest version of Monterey (a lot of my software isn’t compatible with Ventura yet), but then it moved the users folder back to the internal ssd and all my settings were wiped as if it was a fresh installation and not an update.

So, my question is: is there a way to update Mac OS with it being on a separate drive from the users folder/data without it wiping all the settings and changing the users folder location? I don’t want to have to go through this every time I update the OS.

Thank you for your time

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 5:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 5:55 AM

The first question is how you originally moved your home directory. There is only one way to do it. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it correctly, not even once.

That being said, even if you it correctly, it is still a non-standard configuration. You'll have to take precautions. You should continue to have a separate admin account with the home folder on the internal drive. It would be best to update from that normal account while your external account is logged off.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2023 5:55 AM in response to RainbowSprinklezzz

The first question is how you originally moved your home directory. There is only one way to do it. I don't think I've ever seen anyone do it correctly, not even once.

That being said, even if you it correctly, it is still a non-standard configuration. You'll have to take precautions. You should continue to have a separate admin account with the home folder on the internal drive. It would be best to update from that normal account while your external account is logged off.

How to update Mac OS when the users folder is on an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.