Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to create a new macOS user and change its home directory to external SSD

Hello,

I'm using a Mac mini with not enough space and I wanted to know if it's possible to keep my normal user but create a new one where I can download for example Xcode and all the Xcode data is in my external drive.

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2020 7:36 PM

Sure. In System Preferences > Users & Groups, control click or right click on the new account and choose "Advanced". From there, you can change the home directory.

Make sure to first copy the home directory to the external drive. I strongly suggest using the "ditto" command to make sure all of the ownership and permissions are correct. You also might want to do "Get Info" in the Finder on the external volume and make sure "Ignore Permissions on this Volume" is off.

This is the closest Apple Support document that describes the procedure: Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support. It isn't quite the same though.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 10, 2020 7:36 PM in response to Fabiofiorita

Sure. In System Preferences > Users & Groups, control click or right click on the new account and choose "Advanced". From there, you can change the home directory.

Make sure to first copy the home directory to the external drive. I strongly suggest using the "ditto" command to make sure all of the ownership and permissions are correct. You also might want to do "Get Info" in the Finder on the external volume and make sure "Ignore Permissions on this Volume" is off.

This is the closest Apple Support document that describes the procedure: Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support. It isn't quite the same though.

Is it possible to create a new macOS user and change its home directory to external SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.