Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad unavailable

My grandmother is beginning to be affected by memory issues, and I believe she forgot her password and locked the iPad. I know the password, but everything I see is that data loss is unavoidable. Is there really no other way to unlock the iPad besides erasing it? I’d really like to find a way to preserve the pictures she has on here if possible (she doesn’t have a computer so I doubt the iPad has been backed up).

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 9:17 AM

iOS/iPadOS is architecturally designed to protect the owners data.

All locally stored data is encrypted; by design, the only copy of the encryption keys necessary to access local data are held within the Secure Enclave - the device security chip. The device Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave, which in turn releases the encryption keys to the Operating System while the device remains unlocked.

If an incorrect Passcode is repeatedly entered, the Secure Enclave automatically wiped and the device disabled - an operation that erases all stored encryption keys. This is known as a crypto-erase. Once erased, all locally stored data is permanently beyond reach and cannot be recovered.

However, the bona-fide owner can restore their iCloud or iTunes backup to the device - recovering their data. If the owner hasn’t created a backup, all data will have been irretrievably lost.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2023 9:17 AM in response to lbrand22

iOS/iPadOS is architecturally designed to protect the owners data.

All locally stored data is encrypted; by design, the only copy of the encryption keys necessary to access local data are held within the Secure Enclave - the device security chip. The device Passcode unlocks the Secure Enclave, which in turn releases the encryption keys to the Operating System while the device remains unlocked.

If an incorrect Passcode is repeatedly entered, the Secure Enclave automatically wiped and the device disabled - an operation that erases all stored encryption keys. This is known as a crypto-erase. Once erased, all locally stored data is permanently beyond reach and cannot be recovered.

However, the bona-fide owner can restore their iCloud or iTunes backup to the device - recovering their data. If the owner hasn’t created a backup, all data will have been irretrievably lost.

iPad unavailable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.