Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro unable to startup from APFS

Late 2013 13” MacBook Pro A1502 running Mojave on 500GB SSD (formatted HFS+) has been running flawlessly for years. Decided it was time for the Catalina upgrade. Made backup, connected the A1502 to a MacMini, reformatted SSD to APFS using Disk Utility and installed Catalina. Verified drive with Disk Utility, all good, shutdown and disconnect the MacBook Pro from the Mini.

After normal POST tone, machine started up to a blinking question mark. 

Bad drive? Repeated the whole process using a second Apple SSD = same result, blinking Q.

Repeated process using Mojave this time - format APFS, install Mojave - startup was a blinking Q.

Put the first APFS/Catalina SSD back into the 13” MacBook Pro, connected it to the Mini, set startup to the notebook, and the MacMini booted from it as it should with no problem.

Put that same APFS/Catalina SSD into a 15” late-2013 A1398, startup and ops were normal.

Back in the 13” A1502, startup was again the dreaded blinking Q.

Finally reformatted 2nd SSD back to HFS+, installed Mojave, put it into the 13” MacBook Pro A1502, startup and ops were perfectly normal and I’m back where I started many, many hours ago. 

What possible defect could prevent APFS from startup and still allow HFS+ to operate normally?

(BTW, cannot upgrade from Mojave to Catalina with installer unless drive first has APFS format.)

Has to be a hardware issue in the A1502, no? Refuses to startup with drive connected externally, too.

If anybody can tell me what I'm missing, please do - I'm stumped. Thanks!

Posted on Apr 1, 2023 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 1:38 PM

Was macOS 10.13+ ever actually installed onto the internal SSD while running the macOS installer on that particular laptop? I believe the laptop needs to have a system firmware update from a macOS 10.13+ installer before the laptop will recognize the APFS file system.

In order to install a system firmware update using the macOS 10.13+ installer requires the original Apple OEM SSD to be installed internally in the laptop. Using another Apple SSD from another Mac may not work as macOS can sometimes tell the difference between them.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2023 1:38 PM in response to Motorcycle Michael

Was macOS 10.13+ ever actually installed onto the internal SSD while running the macOS installer on that particular laptop? I believe the laptop needs to have a system firmware update from a macOS 10.13+ installer before the laptop will recognize the APFS file system.

In order to install a system firmware update using the macOS 10.13+ installer requires the original Apple OEM SSD to be installed internally in the laptop. Using another Apple SSD from another Mac may not work as macOS can sometimes tell the difference between them.

Apr 5, 2023 11:43 AM in response to Motorcycle Michael

Hi Motorcycle Michael,

Thanks for connecting with us here in Apple Support Communities. The question mark on start up means that either the start up disk isn't available or there's non working operating system. Check out the troubleshooting in the link below as it may help to address the issue you're facing.

If your Mac starts up to a question mark - Apple Support

If the question mark is persistent, and your Mac does not start up normally:
1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
2. Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.
3. Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk. Follow the steps for a Mac with an Intel processor.
4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

Kind regards.

Apr 5, 2023 6:16 PM in response to HWTech

Hi Keisha - I posted the truncated version of my day ;-), tried all those steps before installing new Systems, etc.

D.I. Johnson: Two A1347 MacMinis: a late-2012 (max OS 10.15) and a late-2014 (max OS Monterey). Machine was connected to each of 'em at least twice. One runs 10.15, the other has two drives, 10.14 and 10.15.

HWTech: I honestly can't remember, it's been so long, but I think you're onto something! I'll put OS 11 on a drive, install it and upgrade to 10.13 - standby for results. That has to be it, huh. HAS to be. Was surprised to find it running Mojave without APFS now that I think of it, but obviously it is possible. I'll be back....

Thank you one and all!

Apr 6, 2023 8:36 PM in response to Motorcycle Michael

HWTech, you were correct, thank you! Apparently my A1502 (somehow) skipped the firmware update and remained HFS+. Wound up installing 10.12 Sierra to an empty drive, upgrade to 10.13 High Sierra reformatted drive to APFS, upgrade to 10.14 Mojave on APFS was then successful. Downloaded Catalina upgrade, ready to go.

(Probably obvious to you, never occurred to me....)

Thank you for solving the mystery!

Apr 6, 2023 9:12 PM in response to Motorcycle Michael

It was only slightly obvious due to the hard knocks of supporting our organization's Macs and also assisting other users on these forums. It is not something most average users would ever think if they don't have to deal with oddities day in & day out. I'm glad it was that simple and glad it was successful.

Thanks for the feedback as it may help others users who stumble across your thread (and even other contributors...I also learn so much from what others post here).

Good luck.

MacBook Pro unable to startup from APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.