Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I erase the hard disk on my MacBook pro? The erase button on disk utility is greyed out and will not activate.

I am trying to erase the hard disk on my MacBook Pro (early 2015) and the erase button on disk utility is greyed out. How can I erase the disk memory to prepare it for sale?

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 10:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 10:58 AM

jackspinot wrote:

I am trying to erase the hard disk on my MacBook Pro (early 2015) and the erase button on disk utility is greyed out. How can I erase the disk memory to prepare it for sale?

If you are booted to the drive, you can not erase/repair the drive...never have, never could.

Boot to Recovery Command R or Internet Recovery Option Command R— use the Disk Utility here

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2023 10:58 AM in response to jackspinot

jackspinot wrote:

If you are booted to the drive, you can not erase/repair the drive...never have, never could.

Boot to Recovery Command R or Internet Recovery Option Command R— use the Disk Utility here

Use macOS Recovery on an Intel-based Mac - Apple Support

Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac

how do I erase the hard disk on my MacBook pro? The erase button on disk utility is greyed out and will not activate.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.