Stuck on Update Apple ID Settings: Applies to user accounts with Home Directory on External Hardrive

I have a M1 Pro Mac Book Pro, 2021, configured an account with the home directory on an external drive: https://www.lifewire.com/move-macs-home-folder-new-location-2260157. Starting with the 13.3 update, the account is unable to fully login to iCloud, and persists the "Update Apple ID Settings" task in System Preferences. I have tried all of the potential workarounds from previous threads: Updating Apple ID settings stuck - Apple Community, but they do not work. When I contacted support, they suggested I remove all "old" and "unused" devices from my iCloud account, which also did not work. I'm wondering if others are facing similar issues, and if there is another potential work around. I believe this could be a bug introduced in the latest update.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 12:50 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 4, 2023 4:09 PM in response to Phillsng

Same problem here. This is after lots of other problems with the 13.3 update (from 13.2 -- surprise!)

Apple phone support told me that they had no idea what to do, and it was over their heads. They suggested I try developer.apple.com. (Like telling me to go to Helen Waite.)

1. External drive lost all "owner" information, all the UIDs were set to 99. Had to chown that to even allow a login.
  2. Now I'm stuck in the endless apple update ID loop.
  3. And the Users and Groups panel doesn't appear to offer a way of changing the home directory on ANY account, even the ones that aren't currently logged in.

Apr 4, 2023 4:37 PM in response to Phillsng

Thanks for posting that link showing how you setup your account. It would be nice if those instructions were correct, but they aren't.

Try this:

Do a Finder "Get Info" on the external drive. Unlock the padlock at the bottom. Make sure the flag at the bottom reading "Ignore ownership for this volume" is not checked.

You should probably restart after this. Hopefully that fixes it.

Stuck on Update Apple ID Settings: Applies to user accounts with Home Directory on External Hardrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.