Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

What does it mean when AirPods Max blink amber 3 times?

What does it mean when you try the "crown + ANC" reset on AirPods Max, and all it does is blink amber three times before going dark, and never going to white?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 9:57 AM

They're fully charged. Pressing ANC once gives a green LED, indicated >95%.

BUT they won't pair with anything. Pressing and holding the crown button and ANC together eventually gets me three amber blinks, but it never goes to white no matter how long I hold it.

Putting them in the "smart case" and pulling them back out gets a pulsing white LED, but they still won't pair to anything.

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2023 9:57 AM in response to JJRASC

They're fully charged. Pressing ANC once gives a green LED, indicated >95%.

BUT they won't pair with anything. Pressing and holding the crown button and ANC together eventually gets me three amber blinks, but it never goes to white no matter how long I hold it.

Putting them in the "smart case" and pulling them back out gets a pulsing white LED, but they still won't pair to anything.

May 4, 2023 11:26 AM in response to HcAoRrDe4

Apparently, the issue is that there's a pinhole inside the ear cup that is used to release the headband connection.

When you perspire, moisture is getting into that pinhole and condensing inside the aluminum shell, and shorting out circuits - like the bluetooth controller board.

Apple has been less than forthcoming about the problem, but there are an awful lot of people on other forums like reddit.com/r/airpodsmax where the discussion has gotten much further than any conversation I've had with an Apple employee.

In any case, the question is no longer relevant to me. I handed off my AirPods Max to an Apple Store to be recycled a couple of weeks ago, and replaced them with a Sony headset. It's not as nice as the AirPods Max, but at least it works.

Nov 15, 2023 11:37 AM in response to jgrosecl

oh my god the freezer trick worked!

So recap my steps:

• AirPods Max were left connected to a charger over night
  • put them on in the morning, no connection to any devices worked
  • tried reset, got the 3 amber blinks and no white blink
  • put them in their case, and put the case into the freezer
  • waited about 45 minutes
  • took them out, plugged back into power
  • click noise cancelling button, green light (indicates 95% charge)
  • put them on my head (they are cold remember)
  • press and hold both the noise cancelling and digital crown
  • watched on iPhone and they came up as an option to pair!

working now! but setting a reminder for a few weeks from now to report back if anything changes

good luck everyone!

May 4, 2023 11:36 AM in response to jgrosecl

Thanks I sent mine in for repair last week and they claimed corrosion on the headband connectors was the issue. So I had them sent back un-repaired and cleaned them myself. Now I'm having the exact same issue, but they dont connect at all... It's such a shame. I love apple products, but this was a stain and leaves me extremely disappointed with build quality.

Apr 6, 2023 10:21 AM in response to ASTRO24

Yes, I've done that. But nobody will tell me what the three blinks error code really means.

Which means I don't have enough information to decide whether I should buy a new pair at full price knowing they may suffer the same failure in the future, or pay $300 for a "repair" that only gets a 90-day warranty on it.

What does the "three amber blinks" error code really mean?

Jan 21, 2024 2:09 PM in response to shute789

Same here. Freezer worked. But had to do it each time I wanted to. Use it . No longer works. Apple knows it’s their fault but they couldn’t care less. I hope the same thing happens to vision pro users that plunked down 4-5k. Apple has the upper hand. Once you are I. Their eco system you are unlikely to leave and that’s what they are counting on. A 3 trillion dollar company certainly has the resources to fix or replace their defective products

Mar 19, 2024 7:57 PM in response to jgrosecl

I have the same issue, no warranty so they guys at Apple store they offered to pay almost 70% of the original price to have a replacement with only 3 months of warranty.

I mean Apple what are you doing? how come you are becoming this bad company which you are not even caring about loyal customers such as me, I mean I bought over 10 iPhones and almost every product you have!!! Talk about loyalty.

I'm so much sad because my Airpods are in perfect condition physically even the band is almost new (shinny connectors at least with no corrode not even dust on them).

Mar 23, 2024 10:17 AM in response to HcAoRrDe4

This isn’t my video, but is exactly how I’ve fixed the issue. Basically, follow this guide to step 9 for just the left ear cup (at first), then skip to step 17 and confirm that the part in step 17 is broken/affected (you can’t see if your pair has the issue until you remove the part). The part won’t be completely broken, but you’ll see an obvious split that has developed due to the swivel action over time. There’s a prescient comment in the info text (beside the italicized i within a circle) that basically predicts this issue. Remove the part, repair it as per the video, and reassemble. Some notes:

All affected units that I have repaired had three amber LED blinks followed by no white upon reset and no amount of “tricks” could overcome this

All units previously developed sporadic issues over time that became progressively more frequent

Cleaning headband connectors, freezing, and resetting while wearing all worked for a brief period of time

(The temporary fixes make perfect sense when you realize how the issue develops over time)

As I previously mentioned, only the left earcup has been affected in the units I’ve seen - not sure if this is always the case

The repair is almost guaranteed to be temporary if the units continue to be swiveled - although no units have been returned to me so far

Disassembly and repair requires specialized screwdrivers and driver bits (screwdrivers will be too long to properly reach some screws), a microscope (the connections are ~0.2mm wide), temperature-controlled soldering iron with a 0.2mm micro soldering tip, 0.2mm repair wire, X-acto knife, solder paste and/or flux and solder 

My repair uses a far shorter repair wire than in the video as ongoing flexibility is paramount

Some repair shops and individuals will have this equipment and will be able to carry out the repair, which now takes me about an hour from start to finish, with the majority of time spent micro soldering and testing for electrical shorts

Sincerely hope that this information helps; the units are so good when they work that they become endearing, and I’m gutted when perfectly good electronics have to be thrown away

Mar 20, 2024 8:20 AM in response to LetdownbyApple

A similar issue has also appeared on a specific line of MacBook Pro laptops, with Apple covering many laptops experiencing the issue under a "special" warranty. I just repaired a 2017 MacBook Pro with the issue, since only 2016 models were covered.

Both repairs (MacBook Pro and AirPods Max) require disassembly, which requires specialized screwdrivers (although they are not hard to find); unfortunately, there's no AirPods Max replacement part available from Apple or 3rd parties that I can source, which meant that I had to microsolder to complete repairs. The part at fault is on step 17 of this guide; the failure may occur on the left or right side, although I've only seen the issue on left side to-date.

Microsoldering is out of the question for all but a few people, and I cannot guarantee that the part/repair won't fail in the future - it's likely not a permanent fix if the heaphones are swiveled. If a replacement part was available, then most iPhone service centres and a few individuals would be able to complete the repair. Please note that "as-is" AirPods Max continue to sell for $250+ on eBay, which makes the repair not worthwhile as a commercial venture from a time and materials point of view.

Outside of what I can only describe as a disconcerting design flaw, the AirPods Max are built extremely well and (unlike many reports) are not prone to humidity migration. Apple's lawyers are asking for proof of damage from humidity and thus far, no one has been able to supply proof. In my personal opinion, a large number of AirPods Max are destined to fail under normal use.

To those reading who have a pair that haven't experienced issues, I wouldn't worry about condensation (although the headband connectors do accumulate oxidation and may require an annual cleaning) and recommend limiting how many times you swivel the headphones.

Apr 6, 2023 9:34 AM in response to jgrosecl

Hi jgrosecl, 

Thank you for posting to the Apple Support Communities. 

You may need to charge your AirPods more before trying to reset them again. Please review the following Apple Support articles before charging your AirPods and trying to reset them again: 

Please reply back here if you continue to notice an issue or have any other questions. 

Cheers! 

What does it mean when AirPods Max blink amber 3 times?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.