Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessages missing after back up

when i backed up to my xs refurbished iphone i lost all messages from my sons number i had saved to backup since 2017 and i had the forever to save on and phone syncd how do i find the messages

\

iPhone XS Max, 16

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 5:06 AM

Hello 4everMoore1,

I am very sorry to hear that you were not able to get the messages from your backup. I won't sugar coat things when it comes to memories, especially that many years worth. Do you know if you were using iCloud messages or iClouds backup features? There is a huge difference in how they are saved and restored.

If you use iCloud backup, your photos and a large portion of your data may be saved on the actual device. With the exception of any toggles turned on in iCloud settings on that device. When using iCloud backup and not iCloud messages, your photos will be restored when restoring from a backup.

If you are using iCloud messages, your photos sync throughout devices authenticated and on a device capable of viewing your messages. They are no longer saved in your backup. They should return after signing into your Apple ID then turning the feature on.

A great way to find out would be to check your iCloud storage. If there is a green section allocated for messages, then you are using iCloud messages.

I have cautioned many users and Apple directly about this feature. There are many instances where you may turn the feature on and due to storage issues, network issues, or power issues, your library may not fully upload to the cloud (mother ship) then back down to the other devices (baby ships like that new phone).

Getting back on track, I would recommend looking at your iCloud storage in Settings > your name > iCloud. There should be a graph that shows your storage. If there is a green section for messages, then ensure that messages is turned on for your iCloud settings and see what populates.

If you restored from a backup and the photos are not there, I suspect you were using iCloud messages. You may want to get the old phone and call Apple. They are great at looking into these types of things.

Here is some documentation

How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support

Sign in and use iCloud.com - Apple Support

https://www.icloud.com/photos

Thank you

Mikel S.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2023 5:06 AM in response to 4everMoore1

Hello 4everMoore1,

I am very sorry to hear that you were not able to get the messages from your backup. I won't sugar coat things when it comes to memories, especially that many years worth. Do you know if you were using iCloud messages or iClouds backup features? There is a huge difference in how they are saved and restored.

If you use iCloud backup, your photos and a large portion of your data may be saved on the actual device. With the exception of any toggles turned on in iCloud settings on that device. When using iCloud backup and not iCloud messages, your photos will be restored when restoring from a backup.

If you are using iCloud messages, your photos sync throughout devices authenticated and on a device capable of viewing your messages. They are no longer saved in your backup. They should return after signing into your Apple ID then turning the feature on.

A great way to find out would be to check your iCloud storage. If there is a green section allocated for messages, then you are using iCloud messages.

I have cautioned many users and Apple directly about this feature. There are many instances where you may turn the feature on and due to storage issues, network issues, or power issues, your library may not fully upload to the cloud (mother ship) then back down to the other devices (baby ships like that new phone).

Getting back on track, I would recommend looking at your iCloud storage in Settings > your name > iCloud. There should be a graph that shows your storage. If there is a green section for messages, then ensure that messages is turned on for your iCloud settings and see what populates.

If you restored from a backup and the photos are not there, I suspect you were using iCloud messages. You may want to get the old phone and call Apple. They are great at looking into these types of things.

Here is some documentation

How to back up your iPhone or iPad with iCloud - Apple Support

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Set up iCloud for Messages on all your devices - Apple Support

Sign in and use iCloud.com - Apple Support

https://www.icloud.com/photos

Thank you

Mikel S.

imessages missing after back up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.