Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

HomePod can’t set timers or alarms

My original HomePod has, for several days now, been unable to create timers or alarms. If I say, “Hey Siri, set timer 10 minutes”, she replies, “There was a problem with your timer request. Please try again in a minute.” Likewise for alarms. Power cycle does not help. TIA for any information.

HomePod

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 8:57 AM

FINAL UPDATE: After more resets than I want to admit, I have arrived at a fix:

1) Reset HomePod and repeat initial setup, assigning HomePod to a room other than Default Room (which is not available during setup.)

2) Afterwards, do NOT move HomePod to Default Room!!!

If I DO move HomePod to Default Room (for all I know it could be any other room), within seconds the Home app loses the ability to configure timers and alarms, reporting that HomePod and iPhone are not on the same network. At that point, timers and alarms are broken. As long as I leave HomePod in the room specified during initial setup, everything works.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2023 8:57 AM in response to Mark Hayes

FINAL UPDATE: After more resets than I want to admit, I have arrived at a fix:

1) Reset HomePod and repeat initial setup, assigning HomePod to a room other than Default Room (which is not available during setup.)

2) Afterwards, do NOT move HomePod to Default Room!!!

If I DO move HomePod to Default Room (for all I know it could be any other room), within seconds the Home app loses the ability to configure timers and alarms, reporting that HomePod and iPhone are not on the same network. At that point, timers and alarms are broken. As long as I leave HomePod in the room specified during initial setup, everything works.

Apr 3, 2023 8:50 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the reply.

I've cycled the router and iPhone to no avail. The HomePod requests do not show on the iPhone as personal requests.

The Home app on iPhone CAN create an alarm on the HomePod, but it doesn't sound at the appointed time, and the HomePod, when asked to list all alarms, says it can't find any.

The Home app on iPhone CANNOT create a timer on the HomePod — it says "Timers Unavailable / Timers can be viewed and managed only when this HomePod is on the same network as this iPhone." Both devices, however, are in fact on the same network.

Everything else is fine on the HomePod. I can make phone calls, control my house lights, check the weather, check the time, etc. It is only timers and alarms that have broken.

And Siri-set timers and alarms still work fine on my iPhone and iPad (which I'm having to fall back on.)

Since it's so persistent, I assume it isn't just an upstream server issue, and I'm hoping an OS update will fix this eventually. This is Version 16.4.

Thanks again.

Mark

Dec 21, 2023 1:32 PM in response to Mark Hayes

FWIW timers have not been reliable on mine. Today it said I’ll send some web results. Or a 20 minute timer says 4 hrs and 49 minutes counting down. I keep getting these random responses. I might even get the weather if I ask for a timer. I have to manually press the top to do it.

You might want to submit feedback: Feedback - HomePod - Apple and hopefully they can fix it for a future update,

Jun 3, 2023 2:47 AM in response to Mark Hayes

I too am struggling with the same problem. Siri will not set a timer but it will do a countdown. In other words if I try to set a timer for one minute it responds, "there is a problem setting the timer." If I ask Siri to "countdown one minute" it does this. It seems as if there is a syntax issue between asking for a timer and asking for a count down

Jun 19, 2023 7:13 PM in response to Mark Hayes

I’ve been several rounds with this now. I wish there were a definitive answer. I’ve reset and removed accessory many times, rebooted router many times, I’ve never had HomePod in a “default room,” but after multiple rounds, I did try moving it and that didn’t work either. I wish Apple would just fix this issue. Every time I reset or reboot the router, it comes back online and I can see alarms, but when I leave the house and come back, it’s all gone again. Everything else works except alarms and timers. Running version 16.5. Both iPhone and HomePod ARE on same Wi-Fi network.

Jun 24, 2023 3:37 AM in response to CivilLaw

I realized about the time all this began, I had added a hard-wired Wi-Fi access point to my network to extend the range of my Wi-Fi that was not great in certain areas of my home. It is supposed to just extend the Wi-Fi’s own signal and essentially be the same. But even though it still shows all devices on the same network, the devices must notice a difference. If I turn it off the Wi-Fi access point or disconnect it, this whole problem with alarms goes away permanently. Now I just have to figure out a way to get Wi-Fi to the bad spots.

Dec 17, 2023 2:17 PM in response to Mark Hayes

I am now having the same problem for the first time ever. I have had my HomePod for at least five years. I don't use the Home app on my iPhone much at all and when I just tried to launch it now to reset the HomePod, I get a message saying "Loading Accessories and Scenes" and a spinning icon that never goes away. I have tried restarting the phone and the HomePod but to no avail. Any ideas how to even get the Home app working again? Thanks!

Dec 21, 2023 8:15 AM in response to kaarrll

kaarrll wrote:

I am now having the same problem for the first time ever. I have had my HomePod for at least five years. I don't use the Home app on my iPhone much at all and when I just tried to launch it now to reset the HomePod, I get a message saying "Loading Accessories and Scenes" and a spinning icon that never goes away. I have tried restarting the phone and the HomePod but to no avail. Any ideas how to even get the Home app working again? Thanks!

You should include your router in the list of things to reboot when you have issues using HomeKit. What version of iOS are you running on your iPhone?

tt2

HomePod can’t set timers or alarms

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.