Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Knocking sound on iPhone calls

Why do you I hear a knocking on wood type of sound when I am on the phone with other iPhone users? Does anyone else have this problem? It is very annoying I tried iPhone reset and carrier and hardware and no luck

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2023 7:02 AM

About a month since I switched to T-Mobile. I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max. It sounds like someone is knocking or lightly hammering something (tap, tap,tap, tap). It stops when someone talks, but if there’s any silence it happens consistently.

202 replies

Apr 30, 2023 1:23 AM in response to bailier

This is not a static issue this is a be dry distinct sound. After a few minutes I hear a knocking sound on wood at the exact same tempo. Knock Knock Knock for about 5 seconds then goes away only I can hear it and not the person on the other side. It’s heard through headphones and speaker it’s not static it’s a knock sound if anyone else had this issue please let me know

May 10, 2023 12:06 AM in response to Techquestions_333

I have the same problem. I notice that it happens every time that I call out to certain numbers. They cannot hear the annoying knocking noise, either. I also have T-Mobile. I'm beginning to believe it might be a T-Mobile/service/network issue. No one else with iPhones with other providers are experiencing this issue (based on what I've read).

May 4, 2023 8:47 AM in response to Techquestions_333

I just googled this after experiencing this for last year. I have iPhone 13 pro and most people I call I can hear what sounds like someone hammering in the background. Also, the people I am speaking with can't hear it, just me. They think I am crazy. Any luck on your end? I did see a reddit thread of other people having the same issue over a year ago. What provider do you have? I was Sprint, now T-Mobile.

Jul 6, 2023 7:43 PM in response to Techquestions_333

Went back to T-Mobile today. They put in a new SIM card. They said that should fix it. That would be a hard no. Very next call knocking started. However, I think the knocking noise seems to happen when the person I’m talking to has me on speaker phone. Can someone else please help me test this theory? I tried this while in the phone with my husband tonight. Every time he would switch to speaker phone I would hear the knocking as soon as he stopped talking. Once he started speaking it would go away. Then I had him turn off speaker phone and there was zero knocking noise during our conversation. I then had him turn speaker phone back on and then the knocking started back up! Someone please try this! Let me know if same for you? Sounds crazy, I know, but the knocking noise is already crazy! Looking forward to “hearing” if this is same for anyone else. I feel like we are getting closer to figuring it out if my theory of when the knocking happens is correct??!!

May 4, 2023 9:07 AM in response to karmaforgotme

Yes I hear the same thing. Not on all calls but most and usually on to people that have an iPhone when you switched providers did it still happen? It’s the most annoying sound in the world makes me not want to use my phone..

is it a knocking on wood sound for you? How long does it last? Is it still happening? What did you do to fix it?

Apr 6, 2023 3:47 PM in response to Techquestions_333

Hello Techquestions_333,

We suggest trying the following steps if you're experiencing unexpected behavior with the speakers on your iPhone:

1. Remove all screen protectors, films, or cases from your device. 
2. Check the speaker opening to see if it's blocked or dirty. On iPhone only, make sure that the receiver isn't blocked or dirty. 
3. If necessary, clean the speaker or receiver opening with a small, soft-bristled brush. Make sure that the brush is clean and dry.
4. Go to Settings > Sounds (or Settings > Sounds & Haptics), and drag the Ringer and Alerts slider back and forth a few times. If you don't hear any sound, or if your speaker button on the Ringer and Alerts slider is dimmed, your speaker might need service.
5. If you hear sound, try making a call with your iPhone and turn on speakerphone. On iPad or iPod touch, make a FaceTime call. If you still can't hear, or hear static or crackling, then your network or reception could be the issue. Try to call again later, or from a different location.

You can find that information here: If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

Should the issue persist, we suggest you contact Apple Support. They'll be able to look into this with you further, and provide service options if necessary.

Have a great day.

Knocking sound on iPhone calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.