Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you set up Face ID and password at the same time to unlock a phone 12 pro max?

Is it possible to set up Face ID and a passcode to unlock iPhone 12 Pro Max?

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 12:15 PM

13 replies

Apr 3, 2023 5:57 PM in response to Singleagain1963

Singleagain1963 wrote:

I plainly asked if you can use Face ID and a passcode to unlock the Lock Screen. I don’t know how much different I can say it. I’m talking about double security using both.

You're seeking to require two factors for iPhone access—both passcode and biometrics, here—and Apple does not provide that for iPhone passcodes.

macOS can provide multi-factor—specifically two-factor—authentication, as can Apple ID, but not accessing an iPhone.

For that second factor, Apple typically uses a trusted device, or a trusted telephone number, or a hardware token, and not biometrics.

Send your feedback to Apple: Product Feedback - Apple

Apr 3, 2023 1:27 PM in response to Singleagain1963

Singleagain1963 wrote:

Is it possible to set up Face ID and a passcode to unlock iPhone 12 Pro Max?

The passcode — six digits is typical, longer and alphanumeric is available — is what secures the data in the iPhone. Not Face ID nor Touch ID. Face ID and Touch ID provide a shortcut way to avoid having to enter the full passcode for every access. Which makes using a more secure (longer, more complex) passcode or password easier. But Face ID and Touch ID do not replace the passcode. Typically, you'll have to enter the passcode once every couple of days, if you're using Face ID or Touch ID to access your device. But if you lose your device, the security of your passcode is your sole protection of everything.

Apr 3, 2023 2:22 PM in response to Singleagain1963

Singleagain1963 wrote:

I know that but that’s not what I’m asking. I want to know if it’s possible to set a Face ID snd pass code to unlock the screen lock??

There is no way to use Face ID as the sole means to access an iPhone.

There must be a passcode.

Face ID is optional.

If Face ID is configured, it can usually be used to unlock the iPhone, but not always.

The user must specify the passcode at least every couple of days to re-enable Face ID access.

Apr 3, 2023 3:28 PM in response to Singleagain1963

Singleagain1963 wrote:

I plainly asked if you can use Face ID and a passcode to unlock the Lock Screen. I don’t know how much different I can say it. I’m talking about double security using both.

I see my last reply I forgot to add the word "can't". NO you can't use both face id and passcode to unlock phone at the same time. IT eithers your face id or passcode, not both.

Can you set up Face ID and password at the same time to unlock a phone 12 pro max?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.