Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it safe to use an iPad charging cable with scratches on it?

can someone please answer my question? so like my ipad’s (9th gen) charger got 2 little scratches on it

(yes I know there’s no scratches here in this charger but im just showing where the scratches are!!)

is it still safe to use it? the scratches look like that they’re light. (light scratches) im just a bit nervous if I should really use it or not, or should I buy a new charger? thanks!!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 9:05 AM

If the cable jacket has no cuts, you should have no concern. By contrast, an obviously damaged cable that is split, cut, or has any visible inner conductors should be discarded.

If you are uncertain as to the integrity or condition of the cable, a precautionary replacement is far more sensible than continuing use of a cable that has any doubt. A good quality cable is relatively cheap to replace - unlike your iPad.

You can always visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) who will be delighted to inspect your cable(s) - and advise accordingly:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2023 9:05 AM in response to shiromisscarf

If the cable jacket has no cuts, you should have no concern. By contrast, an obviously damaged cable that is split, cut, or has any visible inner conductors should be discarded.

If you are uncertain as to the integrity or condition of the cable, a precautionary replacement is far more sensible than continuing use of a cable that has any doubt. A good quality cable is relatively cheap to replace - unlike your iPad.

You can always visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) who will be delighted to inspect your cable(s) - and advise accordingly:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Is it safe to use an iPad charging cable with scratches on it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.