Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Billing Info pop up

Why does my iPad keep asking for billing information when I try to download a app. I don’t owe any money on any of my cards. Help please!

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 15

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 7:58 PM

zorrierae Said:

"Billing Info pop up: Why does my iPad keep asking for billing information when I try to download an app. I don’t owe any money on any of my cards. Help please!"

-------

One Method of Payment is Required:

Note that you need at least one method of payment assigned to your Apple Account. This is because even free apps have the option to purchase items from within it. So, add a Method of Payment to proceed with these downloads. Go Here: Change, Add, or Remove Apple ID Payment Methods - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2023 7:58 PM in response to zorrierae

zorrierae Said:

"Billing Info pop up: Why does my iPad keep asking for billing information when I try to download an app. I don’t owe any money on any of my cards. Help please!"

-------

One Method of Payment is Required:

Note that you need at least one method of payment assigned to your Apple Account. This is because even free apps have the option to purchase items from within it. So, add a Method of Payment to proceed with these downloads. Go Here: Change, Add, or Remove Apple ID Payment Methods - Apple Support

Apr 5, 2023 4:58 AM in response to zorrierae

As described, your registered payment method, most likely a Credit Card, needs to be checked. If your registered Credit Card has passed (or is approaching) its expiry date, you will need to update the registered payment method(s) for your AppleID account.

While your Card issuer may automatically re-issue your with the same card-number, the expiry date and PIV code will have changed; this data must be manually updated for your AppleID account.

You should note that an individual registered payment method cannot be modified. Instead you must add a new entry - and then delete the old (expired) entry from your AppleID account. If you only have a single payment method registered on your account, you must add another before you can remove the existing entry. With two or more registered payment methods, you can arrange them in the order that they will be used.

Many find having two registered Credit Cards to be helpful. If for some reason a subscription or other payment fails with your primary payment method, the payment will instead be made against the other Card. Card payments can and do fail for a variety of reasons - such as a temporary block on an account, and out of date card, or a technical issue with the Card issuer. Having an alternative registered payment method should ensure that services are not interrupted due to a failed charge to your account.

Change, add, or remove Apple ID payment methods - Apple Support

Billing Info pop up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.