Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iCloud drive so buggy and unstable?

I originally wanted to move away from Dropbox and finally save some money. I have the AppleOne subscription, so with 2TB+ that should have been no problem. But even on a new and clean MacBookPro (2023) after setting up iCloud Drive and sync (everything to disk, not optimising storage), I just get errors over errors. Very generic errors. Reboots don't help, iCloud says it's in full sync, but moving folders or files, or copying data out of iCloud drive doesn't work properly. My MBP has enough disk space and still 300+GB available. The same behaviour shows up on 3 other macs that I'm using, so it's not working on multiple devices. This device just came in brand new!!!

One example is here, while trying to copy a folder from iCloud drive to another local folder:

"The finder can't complete the operation because some data in '' can't be read or written." (Error Code -36)

Well Apple, what do I care? The data is in your cloud, so if you can't read or write it, go and get it from somewhere. This is by far, the worst implementation of a cloud file storage that I have ever used.

Another one, trying to download a newer folder from cloud to disk:

Well, what should I say, my Internet uplink is fine and everything else works. I'm not behind some fancy firewall or weird WAN uplink, it's basic home Internet and it's consistent behaviour at other locations and other WAN uplinks.

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 1:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 2:51 AM

Did you try to boot in Safe Mode, to let macOS diagnose itself and check for any issues and fix them automatically?

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply

Why is iCloud drive so buggy and unstable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.