Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy progress window from Finder not displaying

This has occurred numerous times now. At least once I was able to get it to appear by starting an additional copy, but I've been unable to get this to work as a reliable workaround. I was on the phone with Apple support for another issue, and the tech recommended I reboot, but I'm in the middle of a set of LARGE copies, so rebooting isn't always feasible because I need to complete the copy. (A drive won't repair with Disk Utility and the recommended solution for that is to backup the drive contents and then reformat the drive.). This seems like a bug to me, as it's occurred more than several times, even after rebooting. In the past it didn't happen a lot, but today, when I NEED the progress monitoring, it's happening 95% of the time. Urrrggh.

Running OS 12.6 on a Mac Studio, Apple M1 Max.

Mac Studio, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 12:48 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 30, 2023 5:32 AM in response to TomRV

I had this problem too but managed to find the fix.

Make sure your Finder window shows Locations in the Sidebar. The copy target will have a progress pie chart.

Hover the mouse over the pie chart. It changes to a circle with a small "i" inside - like an information symbol.

Click on this and the Copy progress window appears. You can close the Copy window and the copying continues. Click the info symbol again to show the Copy progress again.

Very handy if you have way too many windows open.

Apr 5, 2023 1:11 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks very much for the tip, I will add that to my list. The Apple tech also discussed that with me today, pointing out other reasons why I should do that, but he suggested I hold off on the update until I completed the process of reformatting my errant drive. It's unfortunate that I really need the progress status NOW to handle my drive repair issue, but can't do much to fix the progress status issue until my drive repair issue is handled.

(This "process" will take a few more days perhaps, as I have many Terabytes to shuffle around in order to get the backup I need BEFORE I reformat the drive that's failing disk repair. Right on the heels of another Mac OS issue, so now I'm days behind in my work. Sigh. Some day I'll have multiple systems and will be able to outsource my IT support...)

Copy progress window from Finder not displaying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.