Apple the Dock is horrible in multiple monitor setup

Dock keeps moving back to Mac book pro. I just moved back to Mac at work, Mac Book Pro M2 with a dock and 2 monitors. Why did Apple not think people would use multiple monitors and want it the same every time. This and home the macOS treats multiple monitors are my only complaints but the dock not being on every screen, staying on my main display after restart and not easy to move makes this a horrible journey back to Apple. Is there an app or other way to make Dock behave?

MacBook Pro (M2 Max, 2023)

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 10:47 AM

I can concur with the original poster that there is a serious problem with the current level of multiple monitor handling in Mac OS. In Barney's response he is dismissing it out of hand. I have been a Mac power user since the days of the Tombstone 128K Mac, and a multiple monitor user since about 2005 or so, and it is observable that the level of competent support of multiple monitors in Mac OS has degraded, most drastically recently. The current set of issues is unacceptable, to the extent that Windows' current handling of multiple monitors (which they probably stole from Apple) is now superior. I maintain a complex state amongst my displays and workspaces, and the currently behavior is a disastrous waste of my time, almost daily. Both my monitor positions and the arrangement of the workspaces are not persistent between sleeping or logins/boots. A cursory look elsewhere online indicates that this is somewhat of a known problem, which really needs to be addressed.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2023 10:47 AM in response to Barney-15E

I can concur with the original poster that there is a serious problem with the current level of multiple monitor handling in Mac OS. In Barney's response he is dismissing it out of hand. I have been a Mac power user since the days of the Tombstone 128K Mac, and a multiple monitor user since about 2005 or so, and it is observable that the level of competent support of multiple monitors in Mac OS has degraded, most drastically recently. The current set of issues is unacceptable, to the extent that Windows' current handling of multiple monitors (which they probably stole from Apple) is now superior. I maintain a complex state amongst my displays and workspaces, and the currently behavior is a disastrous waste of my time, almost daily. Both my monitor positions and the arrangement of the workspaces are not persistent between sleeping or logins/boots. A cursory look elsewhere online indicates that this is somewhat of a known problem, which really needs to be addressed.

May 3, 2023 10:41 AM in response to wjodon

wjodon wrote:

The current set of issues is unacceptable, to the extent that Windows' current handling of multiple monitors (which they probably stole from Apple) is now superior. I maintain a complex state amongst my displays and workspaces, and the currently behavior is a disastrous waste of my time, almost daily. Both my monitor positions and the arrangement of the workspaces are not persistent between sleeping or logins/boots. A cursory look elsewhere online indicates that this is somewhat of a known problem, which really needs to be addressed.

You should tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Apple the Dock is horrible in multiple monitor setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.