Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Space bar not working

My space bar keeps intermittently working.

I can get it to work again by restarting the computer.

how can I solve this please?

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 5:26 AM

5 replies

Apr 6, 2023 2:31 PM in response to JudgeOC

JudgeOC wrote:

Mac Book Pro M1 16mg

New problem, just started past few days. Of course my 1 year expired 3/15.

I cannot type into any browser or document using the space key - it just doesn't work. If I restart the computer, it will work again.

Yes very strange.

An external keyboard would be a test and compare your results.

To trouble shoot further you can:

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

—A SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Takes a bit longer to get to the login screen, does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, font cache, etc., third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot  as normal and test.  Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode. 

***if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect the charging cable before booting to Safe Mode.  

This will make it act as a wired keyboard and will result in a successful Safe Boot mode.

unplug all third party peripherals if any

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Intermittent faults can be hard to diagnosis if it's the mylar keyboard/trackpad cable, and these circuit traces can be affected by heat... as an example.

Typically issues w/ keys associated in a straight row, associated on the diagonal, or single keys as per your example—indicate a hard ware issue.

If no resolve I would reach out to Apple

Call Customer Support  (800) MYAPPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line  https://getsupport.apple.com/

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Space bar not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.