Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV remote app on iPhone can't connect to Apple TV device from another network...what to do?

Goal: Control the TV viewing of an aged relative from my home without having to drive 10 miles to bring up Netflix for her.

Problem:

a] When on same wifi network, I get a "remote" symbol within the Apple Home app (circled in red in the photo I attached) that let's me control the TV.

b] When on another network, that remote symbol disappears, which keeps me from exercising remote control.

Apple "Home" App's screen for Betty's Apt when on the same network.

The Apple TV Remote screen I get when this works.

*** Equipment I just purchased:

Apple TV 4K Wi‑Fi + Ethernet with 128GB storage

*** How I've configured it:

On a 100Mbps wifi network called "Betty's Wifi"

Apple TV menu, Settings, "AirPlay and HomeKit":

{I don't think these matter}

AirPlay: On

Allow Access: Everyone

{But these should be relevant}

HomeKit Room: "Betty's Apartment"

Home Hub: "Betty's Apple TV Hub," Connected

*** Configuration on the iPhone being used 10 miles away:

iPhone 11, iOS 16.3.1

Apple's "Home" app

Home Settings

Name: "Betty's Apple TV Hub"

People: {me}

...Show Me On Apple TV: Betty's Apartment

...Control Accessories Remotely: On

...Add & Edit Accessories: Yes

Allow Speakers & TV Access: Everyone

Require Password: No

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 8:08 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 9, 2023 5:06 PM in response to StarvingOligarch

Hey there StarvingOligarch,

We understand you're trying to control an Apple TV while connected to another network and away from that Apple TV. We'd be happy to provide information about this.

It's not possible to remotely control your family member's Apple TV the way you're describing. Leave feedback about the features you'd like to see here: Product Feedback - Apple

Kind regards.

Apple TV remote app on iPhone can't connect to Apple TV device from another network...what to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.