iPhone Apple TV Remote App Issue

I am having issues with the Apple TV Remote app on my phone. When my Apple TV 4K is connected via Wifi, the side buttons (volume up/down) work fine. In an effort to increase speed and stop buffering problems, earlier today I connected it using an ethernet cable. Huge improvement with speed and no more buffering (so far) but now the Apple TV Remote app won't control the volume anymore. All of the other features work fine. If I unplug the ethernet cable (putting back on wifi), the side buttons work again for volume control. Someone suggested something checking settings on my internet modem (from a cable TV provider) to make sure that the wifi portion is not a separate network to the wired portion (a setting in my wifi mesh router?). I don't know how I would even check that and even if I did, I'm worried about messing something up and having no internet - wired or not. Thoughts?

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation)

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 3, 2023 10:27 AM

Someone made you an excellent suggestion. Indeed, you have the configure the router (which may be a router-modem) so that the Wi-Fi and ethernet are used as one ‘logical’ network, not two networks. Then devices can communicate with each other regardless to which part each connects. If you have two routers (mesh + modem), then make it so that one does the routing for all devices, and the other just extends/follows/repeats/bridges — else you still have two networks. You may need to reconfigure two devices.

Most modern routers have a web interface for configuration. See its documentation for the LAN address URL. Then use a computer browser or mobile browser to connect to that, and sign in with the router password. If you feel uncomfortable changing settings there, and are not sure about what is presented there, then seek assistance from your ISP or the router manufacturer. Routers are all very different, so I couldn’t guide you through it without seeing the same thing as you.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 3, 2023 10:27 AM in response to Johnh309

Someone made you an excellent suggestion. Indeed, you have the configure the router (which may be a router-modem) so that the Wi-Fi and ethernet are used as one ‘logical’ network, not two networks. Then devices can communicate with each other regardless to which part each connects. If you have two routers (mesh + modem), then make it so that one does the routing for all devices, and the other just extends/follows/repeats/bridges — else you still have two networks. You may need to reconfigure two devices.

Most modern routers have a web interface for configuration. See its documentation for the LAN address URL. Then use a computer browser or mobile browser to connect to that, and sign in with the router password. If you feel uncomfortable changing settings there, and are not sure about what is presented there, then seek assistance from your ISP or the router manufacturer. Routers are all very different, so I couldn’t guide you through it without seeing the same thing as you.

iPhone Apple TV Remote App Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.