Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Ventura have ransomeware protection

What is the best ransomware protection for MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 10:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 12:02 PM

Give the Apple Platform Security guide and the links provided by Old Toad a thorough read. That guide has not been updated since macOS Monterey, but expect further enhanced security features in Ventura. I would not expect any ransomware to get past Apple's hardware and software security. Not even root privileges can write to the read-only, code-signed System volume that contains the operating system.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2023 12:02 PM in response to francisclem

Give the Apple Platform Security guide and the links provided by Old Toad a thorough read. That guide has not been updated since macOS Monterey, but expect further enhanced security features in Ventura. I would not expect any ransomware to get past Apple's hardware and software security. Not even root privileges can write to the read-only, code-signed System volume that contains the operating system.

Apr 6, 2023 11:01 AM in response to francisclem

Read these two documents: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community and Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support.  

Unless you're a celebrity, politician or high up businessman there's little change of being hacked for any reason.

What I do is to have an external SSD which I have cloned my boot drive to with Carbon Copy Cloner. I keep it updated every couple of days with Carbon Copy Cloner and unmounted when I'm not updating it. That way regardless of what happens to my internal boot drive I can erase it and clone my clone back to it.

The cloning is easily accomplished with Intel Macs but is somewhat more difficult with the Silicon Macs.

Does Ventura have ransomeware protection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.