Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

final cut pro x

I am trying to combine stills and video footage from 3 different phones into a video. I want all the original aspect ratios to be maintained within a frame that can accommodate them all. Have tried various online recommendations but images keep being cropped. I don't want any cropping just pillar or letterboxing.

How do I set this up?

Thank you!!!

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 7:13 PM

Similar questions

16 replies

Apr 8, 2023 12:17 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi again!

Still not getting what I want from settings and spatial conform. If I use 1920x1080, the vertical shots are shorter vertically than I would like. Not sure if it even is a thing anymore, but I tried Academy aspect ratio in Property manager to give verticals more room, but then all the horizontal shots are cropped horizontally regardless of whether I choose Fit, Fill or None. First two images at 1920x1080 - see how small vertical is? Second two images are 1330x1000 (filling the viewing frame). Vertical looks great but horizontal cropped nastily.

Apr 8, 2023 1:16 PM in response to Tancamb

In the third shot the landscape image is not set to FIT. If it was set to Fit then it would be letterboxed and fit from left to right in the custom frame resolution you have.

Here's a vertical image in 1330x1000

Here's a widescreen image in 1330x1000

It's, like the vertical image, set to Fit. It fills the frame edge to edge, left to right and is letterboxed.

Apr 8, 2023 1:28 PM in response to Tancamb

That's the scale of the Viewer. That adjusts the size of the Viewer in pane. You need to set the size of the image itself in the inspector. Set the Spatial Conform to Fit.

For an excellent introduction to FCP start with Steve Martin’s 60 minute intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqUP7Zgeuck. For a more in depth introduction use the IzzyVideo tutorials. The version is a bit dated but the principles are the same. 

Apr 6, 2023 7:24 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom. It's all phone media, both stills and video, horizontal and vertical. Two androids and an iphone. With different ratios depending on each persons settings. Videos are 1920 × 1080, 1080 × 2400, 1080 × 1920. Stills are a variety.

I don't need to have this look beautiful! I just want to combine the footage in it entirety (no cropping) with pillar and letterboxing to accommodate the different sizes.

Apr 8, 2023 12:34 PM in response to Tancamb

"the vertical shots are shorter vertically than I would like."

What do you mean by shorter? If you use Fit the top of the vertical shot is at the top of the 1080 vertical resolution and the bottom of the vertical is at the bottom of the frame. There is no cut off. The image is small because that what fits in the aspect ratio of a 16:9 image. You have to decide what you want to do. The images are what they are in their aspect ratio and orientation. You can scale smaller or larger, but if you want to see the full image for both aspect ratios then you have to use the Fit function. If you like the non-standard 1330x1000 you can use that and set the landscape aspect shot you have to Fit. Then it will fit from left edge to right edge and will show letterboxing at top and bottom. The one thing you cannot do is make the video change aspect ratio or frame resolution. That's fixed for the duration of the project, whatever you decide.

Apr 8, 2023 1:01 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

As my screen shots show, if I set to 1980x1080 the shots are shorter because they are constrained by the 1080 frame. I don't want them to be.

<You can scale smaller or larger, but if you want to see the full image for both aspect ratios then you have to use the Fit function. If you like the non-standard 1330x1000 you can use that and set the landscape aspect shot you have to Fit. >

If I set to 1330x1000 (or 2660x2000), the verticals look great but the 16:9 shots are cropped. Changing to Fit just adjusts the crop to 1330x1000. I want them to be letterboxed and retain their original ratio.

:)

final cut pro x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.