Please fix memory leak in Ventura 13.3 (related to configd, installd, wifid)

(https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/12089791)

Some system processes constantly consume my memory, I upload 2 figures to illustrate this issue:

1. For `installd`, the process eats about 6G+ memory when doing background software upgrade, I noticed this issue when XCode is installed and seems this is caused by XCode upgradation. It is really stupied, and from my practice, it seems that when doing installation or checksum, `installd` load all the binary files into users memory.
  2. For `configd`, the memory leak can be observed after booting for 4+ days, here it eats about 700M+ of memory (will grow to 2G+ or more until I cannot tolerate and reboot). The most strange thing is, this process only has a small amount of "real memory size", and a large amount of its allocation is compressed memory. That means this process really didn't release its allocation.
  3. I can believe the same issues is happing on IOS (usually has 4G RAM), wear and tear your SSD by swap, finally destroy all your data someday.

Please fix the issue, if you delete my post, I will post it on reddit or arxiv :)

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 6:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 2:18 AM

Hi, this memory leak appears again after booting for 7+ days. I've updated necessary infomation to https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/12089791

Here shown a vimdiff of configd stacks, left: 6M memory, right 800M memory.

This system dylib `libsystem_kernel.dylib` or its caller didn't release the memory.

Could you please help push the dev team to take a look at this issue?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2023 2:18 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi, this memory leak appears again after booting for 7+ days. I've updated necessary infomation to https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/feedback/12089791

Here shown a vimdiff of configd stacks, left: 6M memory, right 800M memory.

This system dylib `libsystem_kernel.dylib` or its caller didn't release the memory.

Could you please help push the dev team to take a look at this issue?

Apr 7, 2023 1:27 PM in response to Mermeemur

Mermeemur wrote:

3. I can believe the same issues is happing on IOS (usually has 4G RAM), wear and tear your SSD by swap, finally destroy all your data someday.

Can you verify your software is up to date…

—The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.3.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

—The current stable release of iOS including bug fixes, security updates is iOS 16.4.1

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If no resolve—

To be proactive you can file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.