Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Urgent help with deleted files.

I deleted some files recently from downloads and the next day I was told that I deleted 1900 files from my work shared drive. The files are showing in my Recents |(some dating back to way before I joined the organisation) but are not in my Mac's bin. I did not open the files in question however, as mentioned earlier, I did select all files from downloads and then deleted them.

The company has sent me the list of files; some belong to me and some to others. I was having issues with my Mac on the day files were deleted and it was blinking/glitching (the screen would move to the right and come back). It has stopped since. The deleted files were all deleted at the same time 10:26/27 with a few seconds difference.

My questions are:

Could it be hacking?

Can a deleted file show in recent even if it wasn't opened?

How does Recents on Mac work?

How can the above happen?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 4:50 AM

Have you looked in your Trash? Deleting them from a folder only moves them to the Trash. Click on the Trash can icon, then drag them from the trash to wherever you want them. If you emptied the trash, you may need data recovery software such as Disk Drill Pro, or similar applications.

Another option is to retrieve them from a backup, if that's available.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2023 4:50 AM in response to kaleem113

Have you looked in your Trash? Deleting them from a folder only moves them to the Trash. Click on the Trash can icon, then drag them from the trash to wherever you want them. If you emptied the trash, you may need data recovery software such as Disk Drill Pro, or similar applications.

Another option is to retrieve them from a backup, if that's available.

Urgent help with deleted files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.