Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dual boot Yosemite/Sierra

I've upgraded my old iMac (1TB SSD, 2TB laptop drive, 32GB RAM) with great difficulty, & want to KEEP Yosemite (for compatibility with several programs) & dual boot to Sierra (for upgrades of several programs). But I have questions!

NOTE: I'm on a fixed, limited income, & this old iMac running Yosemite has served me very well. There's only a couple things (like Apple Mail & Chrome) that have gotten quirky this past year. Unless I get a miraculous windfall, I won't be buying new hardware or software.

I've read that each OS must be in it's own VOLUME, but everything I can find (in Disk Utility or online search) only refers to PARTITIONS. Volumes are within partitions, as I understand, so not sure how I can achieve this.

(I can "startup" from HDD, format the SSD & install both OS on that. The HDD will ultimately hold all my personal data files.)

Dumb question, perhaps, but can I toggle between the two OS, or must I reboot & force the iMac to choose the OS I want?

And will each OS only recognize & run apps installed in its own partition? Could I/should I format the SSD with 3 volumes, & put the apps in that 3rd volume, or is that pointless?

Finally, will TimeMachine backup everything on the SSD & HDD, regardless of volumes (or partitions)?

Thank you in advance!

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 5:28 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 10, 2023 9:37 AM in response to Niel

Thanks for the response, Niel! A bit more clarification, please...

1. I had understood that volumes was a subdivision of a partition. Neither OS or the hardware will treat any of the files/apps/etc any different, if I simply divide up the SSD into 2 or 3 partitions?
  2. BUMMER. I'd hoped to copy & paste or other quick & easy toggling between things running in both OS on the fly! (Check Apple Mail or view a webpage with Chrome, then copy over something to Word/Office 2011 or vice versa, for example. P.I.T.A. to copy to a temp file, like TextEdit, to access with the different OS!) Is there a shortcut to choosing the startup OS on boot?
  3. COOL! So I don't necessarily need a 3rd volume for apps/software, I just need to be very clear which apps work with which OS. (To avoid unintended copies of data files & the confusion/chaos that would cause, I suspect I should delete different versions of apps, like TextEdit, for instance.) ...But perhaps a 3rd volume/partition for software might be a great way to keep this under control, too...
  4. Great tip! Will Time Machine organize directories according to HDD & partition/volume, in a "single backup"? I suspect it will: that will help me keep my "housekeeping" (how I organize my files) consistent, easy to locate, etc.

Maybe I'll have a BIG windfall one of these days, & can afford new hardware & software....

Thanks again for your assistance!

Apr 8, 2023 5:40 PM in response to Ric Lobosco

1. Partition the drive. The difference between them and volumes is that volumes can also be disk images or similar things.

2. You need to restart to switch between them.

3. They'll recognize and run software from the other volume if it's compatible.

4. Open the Time Machine pane of System Preferences, click on Options, and check the exclusion list.

(237787)

dual boot Yosemite/Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.