Maps favourites + guides disappeared post iOS 16.4.1 update

Hello, all my Apple Maps favourites and guides that I had created disappeared posts recent update to iOS 16.4.1, anyone else facing the same issue? Appreciate inputs on how I can fix this issue, thanks!

iPhone 12

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2023 12:48 PM

debbie5555 Said:

As of this date, Apple does not have a resolution for this issue. Ensure that you contact them directly in order for them understand this issue is affecting many users.

———-

Get the Word Out:

Quite frankly, I never really use Maps. Digging deep into this, I do not see it there, myself. So, do as I’ve recommend all along: Report this as a Bug to Apple: See my pervious reply.

Based on Perianal Experience.

For the past few weeks, Apple is pretty inclined to contact others regarding this situation. So, leave them feedback, seeing if they get back to you firsthand.

78 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2023 12:48 PM in response to debbie5555

debbie5555 Said:

As of this date, Apple does not have a resolution for this issue. Ensure that you contact them directly in order for them understand this issue is affecting many users.

———-

Get the Word Out:

Quite frankly, I never really use Maps. Digging deep into this, I do not see it there, myself. So, do as I’ve recommend all along: Report this as a Bug to Apple: See my pervious reply.

Based on Perianal Experience.

For the past few weeks, Apple is pretty inclined to contact others regarding this situation. So, leave them feedback, seeing if they get back to you firsthand.

Apr 8, 2023 6:18 PM in response to sash_mdy

sash_mdy Said:

"Maps favourites + guides disappeared post iOS 16.4.1 update: Hello, all my Apple Maps favourites and guides that I had created disappeared posts recent update to iOS 16.4.1, anyone else facing the same issue? Appreciate inputs on how I can fix this issue, thanks!"

-------

No. I have not come across this.

Report this Bug to Apple:

Do your Part: These are user-to-user forums. Apple rarely reads these forums on their own time as it is. So, provide Apple with feedback on this.  Apple wont get back to you directly, but the more they hear of this, the more they will know what is going on, and what needs to be fixed.

To Provide Feedback:

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Bug Report" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that this all stated after installing an update. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed form there as necessary

Apr 11, 2023 1:42 PM in response to sash_mdy

I’m so sad, this happened to me too with this update and I’ve lost EVERYTHING! Over 100 places in my guides lost 😭 and I’ve tried everything! Maps was already turned on for sync/back up so I have no idea why this is happening. I tried deleting the app and redownloading it, I restarted my phone, went back into iCloud settings to turn it off and then back on and still to no avail. I’ve been with Apple support and they can’t even seem to figure out what’s happening. I’m so sad as most of these places were really hard to find 🥺😔

Apr 8, 2023 6:18 PM in response to sash_mdy

If your Apple Maps favorites and guides disappeared on your iPhone, then please check the following:

1. Check iCloud Sync: Make sure that you are signed in to iCloud on your iPhone, and that iCloud syncing is turned on for Maps. To do this, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, and make sure that the toggle next to Maps is turned on. If it is turned off, turn it on and wait for a few minutes to see if your favorites and guides reappear.
  2. Check Apple ID: Ensure that you are signed in with the correct Apple ID on your iPhone. To check this, go to Settings > [your name] and verify that you are signed in with the correct Apple ID.

Need more info,

1. If you have multiple devices the same may have been deleted on some other device (Mac/iPad etc.
  2. Are you sharing your Apple ID with others?

Apr 11, 2023 7:13 PM in response to TheLittles

Hello TheLittles!

This has also happened to me. I was wondering why my Maps looked so empty, then I stumbled across this thread, and sure enough, everything the OP said was true for me.

However, my concern is that I cannot see Maps in my iCloud. I go to Settings > My Name > iCloud > Manage Account Storage, but I don’t see Maps. Why is this?

Apr 10, 2023 10:08 PM in response to sash_mdy

After IOS16.4.1 update every time the phone is powered down then restarted the maps program forgets all favorites, recents and all guides. I’m screwed. Also the map program seems to keep running even after ending the route and closing the app thereby sucking up data. That’s why I powered the phone off and back on losing all my saved data. I repeatedly created a guide, cycled phone off and back on and each time the guide was gone along with the most recent destination used to create the guide. Looks like Apple really blew it this time. I had guides for bike trailhead parking that will be very hard to duplicate.

Apr 12, 2023 4:58 PM in response to H1290

SergL2023 Said:

"Sravankra, your solutions do not work. This is an internal problem that Apple has not yet been able to resolve. Fingers crossed they figure it out.: However, my concern is that I cannot see Maps in my iCloud. I go to Settings > My Name > iCloud > Manage Account Storage, but I don’t see Maps. Why is this?"

-------

Getting an Item Back:

Either something is misconfigured, or it has gone missing somehow. Note that you cannot just delete a builtin app. So, report it. But, one major thought to get this back...

Reset to Factory Settings:

If this is on on going issue, back up what need be(i.e. upload photos to iCloud), and then set up your iPhone, anew, as if you were to sell it. Perform as interacted here, including the backup creation: What to do Before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Apr 14, 2023 10:11 AM in response to TheLittles

Thank you for the response TheLittles!

However, I’m unsure of wether you understood my question.

From participating in the Community, I know that you provide this answer to users that have lost their built-in Apple Apps from their Home Screen.

But in my case, Maps has disappeared from my “Manage Account Storage” page in Settings. (See the screenshot above.)

Having made this clear, would you still recommend factory resetting iPhone, and restoring it? Or should I Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support for further assistance?

Thank you in advance.

Apr 15, 2023 3:36 PM in response to Karla396

This also happens to me. Each time my iPhone is restarted, everything disappears from Maps.

I suggest everyone refrain from restarting their device, unless it’s necessary, until this issue is fixed.

So, while you may be able to restore your guides and favourites from iCloud, they would be deleted again the next time you restart your device.

Everyone should also report the bug Here.

You can also Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support.

Fingers crossed for a timely resolution!

May 19, 2023 5:47 AM in response to H1290

Also, Aboelens12!

This is a reply from this thread, by another user who also had this issue, and they claim these steps fixed the issue for them:

“THIS WORKED FOR ME:

from chdjparadise1 Apr 19, 2023

Go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud, and make sure that the toggle next to Maps is turned on. If it is turned off, turn it on and wait for a few minutes to see if your favorites and guides reappear...On my settings the toggle button was set to on. So, what I did was toggled the Maps off then back on waited a minute then launched the Apple Maps app and all My Guides reappeared.…”

Good Luck!

May 19, 2023 8:45 PM in response to sash_mdy

Hello guys!

In this thread, a user experiencing the Guides, etc. disappearing problem shared screenshots of a conversation with Apple. I will quote the Apple Representative below:

”We're sorry to hear that Guides have been removed from your Maps app. Unfortunately, if the Guides have not appeared after ensuring your iCloud settings are correct it is unlikely they will. WE apologize for any inconvenience.“

So, I guess we accept Apple’s apology, as difficult as this is, and move on. And if I can move on, I’m sure anyone can. I would be willing to wager anything that I was one of those most affected by this issue. Many, many, MANY very important guides, favourites, and recents were deleted. The hours upon hours of work spent creating them is unthinkable. However, I am willing to move on now, after waiting for a final response from Apple. However, I still have one last phone call to make…

May 20, 2023 5:08 PM in response to Lillsterxo

Hello Lillsterxo!

I know Google Maps is a very good choice. Other users in this thread have referred to Waze, but I have zero experience nor knowledge with and about that app. Another “map app” which seems decent, (but offers In-App Subscriptions for all the “good stuff,”) is Sygic. The link to this app may or may not be removed. I suggest you check these suggestions out, and pick what you like.

But, I’m not sure if these other apps have the ability to save guides, like Apple Maps. It may be a feature only Apple Maps has at this point. However, if you do find something, feel free to share it with everyone here.

Have a wonderful day! 😊

Maps favourites + guides disappeared post iOS 16.4.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.