Unable to view videos sent in hdr

When I receive videos from an iPhone with HDR turned on my iPhone 7 Plus play s them bright

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 5:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 6:33 PM

If you're experiencing issues with your iPhone 7 Plus playing HDR videos too brightly then without knowing the settings on the sender's device I can only assume things.

1. First, check the sender's settings: It may be possible that the issue is with the sender's settings. Ask the sender to check their iPhone settings to see if they have any display or camera settings that could be affecting the video quality.
  2. If the video is not taken on an iPhone then there is nothing much that can be done.

Assuming everything is Ok at the sender's end you may check the following on your device.

1. Turn off Auto-Brightness: First, check if the Auto-Brightness feature is turned on. This feature adjusts the brightness of your iPhone screen based on ambient light conditions, which can affect how HDR videos are displayed. To turn off Auto-Brightness, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations, and toggle off the Auto-Brightness option.
  2. Adjust Brightness: Adjust the brightness of your iPhone screen manually. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access Control Center, and then drag the brightness slider to a lower level until the HDR video looks more balanced.
  3. Turn off HDR: If the HDR video is still too bright, try turning off the HDR feature. You can do this by going to Settings > Camera > Smart HDR and toggling it off may help.
  4. Update iOS: Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. To do this, go to Settings > General > Software Update, and if there is an update available, download and install it.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2023 6:33 PM in response to ff6959

If you're experiencing issues with your iPhone 7 Plus playing HDR videos too brightly then without knowing the settings on the sender's device I can only assume things.

1. First, check the sender's settings: It may be possible that the issue is with the sender's settings. Ask the sender to check their iPhone settings to see if they have any display or camera settings that could be affecting the video quality.
  2. If the video is not taken on an iPhone then there is nothing much that can be done.

Assuming everything is Ok at the sender's end you may check the following on your device.

1. Turn off Auto-Brightness: First, check if the Auto-Brightness feature is turned on. This feature adjusts the brightness of your iPhone screen based on ambient light conditions, which can affect how HDR videos are displayed. To turn off Auto-Brightness, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations, and toggle off the Auto-Brightness option.
  2. Adjust Brightness: Adjust the brightness of your iPhone screen manually. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to access Control Center, and then drag the brightness slider to a lower level until the HDR video looks more balanced.
  3. Turn off HDR: If the HDR video is still too bright, try turning off the HDR feature. You can do this by going to Settings > Camera > Smart HDR and toggling it off may help.
  4. Update iOS: Make sure your iPhone is running the latest version of iOS. To do this, go to Settings > General > Software Update, and if there is an update available, download and install it.

Apr 8, 2023 6:54 PM in response to ff6959

ff6959 Said:

"Unable to view videos sent in hdr: When I receive videos from an iPhone with HDR turned on my iPhone 7 Plus play s them bright"

-------

Troubleshooting Bright iPhone Screen and Videos:

Disable Dark Mode:

On the iPhone, perform the following to disable Dark Mode.

1. Go Here: Adjust the Screen Brightness and Color on iPhone - Apple Support
  2. Scroll to: Turn Dark Mode on or off
  3. Proceed from there a necessary

Aug 3, 2023 10:34 AM in response to TheLittles

The issue isn't the brightness of the screen. My IPhone 7 had no trouble viewing videos shot with HDR turned on before. It was after an UPDATE that the problem reared it's ugly head. I find it deplorable that IPhone wouldn't fix this. The only reason I can think of as to why they don't is because they "broke" it on purpose. Steve Jobs wouldn't approve.

Unable to view videos sent in hdr

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.