Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to type pinyin with accent marks?

To create study materials for Chinese, I would like to type the pinyin, which includes 4 tone marks for each vowel. I can type 3 of them easily ("ù", "ú", "ū"), but for third tone ("ǔ") the best approach I have so far is to go to Wikipedia and copy/paste the character.

I've heard that in previous versions of macOS you could use a different input method called "ABC - Extended" that may support this character, but in the keyboard & language settings on Ventura (13.2.1) I don't see an option to add this.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 9:43 AM

porter208 wrote: To create study materials for Chinese, I would like to type the pinyin, which includes 4 tone marks for each vowel. I can type 3 of them easily ("ù", "ú", "ū"), but for third tone ("ǔ") the best approach I have so far is to go to Wikipedia and copy/paste the character.

Here is a possible alternative method: Set your Apple Chinese pinyin IM to show the candidates horizontally. Then after you type some pinyin, hit the Tab key from one to four times. The pinyin you typed will successively show the 4 tone options, and just hit return to enter the one you want. Below shows "ni" plus 3 tabs.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2023 9:43 AM in response to porter208

porter208 wrote: To create study materials for Chinese, I would like to type the pinyin, which includes 4 tone marks for each vowel. I can type 3 of them easily ("ù", "ú", "ū"), but for third tone ("ǔ") the best approach I have so far is to go to Wikipedia and copy/paste the character.

Here is a possible alternative method: Set your Apple Chinese pinyin IM to show the candidates horizontally. Then after you type some pinyin, hit the Tab key from one to four times. The pinyin you typed will successively show the 4 tone options, and just hit return to enter the one you want. Below shows "ni" plus 3 tabs.

Apr 9, 2023 12:10 PM in response to porter208

porter208 wrote:

To create study materials for Chinese, I would like to type the pinyin, which includes 4 tone marks for each vowel. I can type 3 of them easily ("ù", "ú", "ū"), but for third tone ("ǔ") the best approach I have so far is to go to Wikipedia and copy/paste the character.

I've heard that in previous versions of macOS you could use a different input method called "ABC - Extended" that may support this character, but in the keyboard & language settings on Ventura (13.2.1) I don't see an option to add this.

ref: Type Chinese using Pinyin - Simplified on Mac

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes, security updates is macOS Ventura 13.3.1

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Apr 10, 2023 9:03 AM in response to porter208

porter208 wrote:

ABC Extended is indeed the fix for this. You should have no trouble finding it via System Settings > Keyboard > Text Input > Edit and then use the + button. It should be in the English category.

Let me know if that does not work.

How to type pinyin with accent marks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.