Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Download Many Apple Watch Apps, Thanks to 'iPhone Only' message, Family Sharing Setup

I recently purchased an Apple Watch and set it up via Family Sharing with a family member's phone as my companion device. However, I'm having trouble downloading certain apps like AllTrails, which give the error message, "iPhone Only", when I go to install them. Is there any way to download these apps directly on my Apple Watch, or can I use my iPad to download them? I have an older iPhone (6), but it is too old to use as a companion device. I would appreciate any advice or solutions to help me use my Apple Watch to its full potential. Thank you!

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 4:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 3:59 AM

If the app store notification says "iPhone only" then they will not run on your Apple Watch. No point in trying to get them any other way, and as Watch is an iphone accessory, the iPad will not be any help either.

There are a number of core functions that will not work either on a family paired phone - the pairing is intended for children mainly. Even Spotify which will run on a normally paired Apple Watch will not run on a family paired Watch even with premium membership.

Check out the article you used to pair the watch

Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2023 3:59 AM in response to ParticleEddie

If the app store notification says "iPhone only" then they will not run on your Apple Watch. No point in trying to get them any other way, and as Watch is an iphone accessory, the iPad will not be any help either.

There are a number of core functions that will not work either on a family paired phone - the pairing is intended for children mainly. Even Spotify which will run on a normally paired Apple Watch will not run on a family paired Watch even with premium membership.

Check out the article you used to pair the watch

Set up Apple Watch for a family member - Apple Support 

Unable to Download Many Apple Watch Apps, Thanks to 'iPhone Only' message, Family Sharing Setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.