Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery Health, Longevity and Charging Management

Do Battery Longevity and Health require the use of an Apple power supply or are these features solely managed within the internal MacBook charging circuit?

I would have normally assumed that it was internal to the MacBook circuit. However, I recently added a Display that provides Power Delivery (PD) to my MacBook via USB-C cable along with Video, Audio (PD+Data). Since I began using this setup I have not observed the Battery Status icon/indicator in the Finder Menubar display anything but Charge mode. Previously I would see the Battery Status icon/indicator in power pass-through (plug not charge symbol).

I am simply concerned if by using the Display as my power source if I am no longer able to have the MacBook properly manage Battery Longevity/Optimization.

NOTE: Apple, it wouldn't be the worst idea to make ALL of your consumer facing icons/indicators available for support/community posts. This might simplify communication by avoiding confusion. There is a formatting bar at the bottom of all submissions, simply add a menu that allows us to select what we need.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 4:47 AM

Another reason I ask...

From Apple "If your Mac uses USB-C to charge, you can charge your Mac laptop with any USB-C power adapter or display. You can safely use a power adapter or display with higher or lower wattage than the adapter included with your Mac. For the best charging experience, you should use the power adapter and cable included with your MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or MacBook." Identify your Mac power adapter - Apple Support

It is that last line where I want more detail - what is meant by "best charging experience?"

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2023 4:47 AM in response to Community User

Another reason I ask...

From Apple "If your Mac uses USB-C to charge, you can charge your Mac laptop with any USB-C power adapter or display. You can safely use a power adapter or display with higher or lower wattage than the adapter included with your Mac. For the best charging experience, you should use the power adapter and cable included with your MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or MacBook." Identify your Mac power adapter - Apple Support

It is that last line where I want more detail - what is meant by "best charging experience?"

Apr 10, 2023 3:15 PM in response to ku4hx

I agree - even though I wrote the question. I believe the entire charging circuit is in the Mac.

However two things made me ask.

1. Since changing power source the system has NEVER switched into pass-through mode to optimize the battery life - this is the mode it was in 90% of the time before. This has been about a week now.
  2. Consider that there would be value in a brick that was actually a smart switching power supply and USB PD+data could facilitate that exchange more efficiently than simply using line draw as the switching mechanism (traditional method).

Both of those considered, I was curious if I could get a definitive answer from Apple. Because in the end I don't want to exchange the convenience of a single cable from my display for a shorter overall battery life.

Battery Health, Longevity and Charging Management

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.