Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mail & Safari "take a break"

I've had the following symptoms occurring for years, and there must be some solution for it.

THE SYMPTOMS

1) When opening a new message in Mail, the header info is persented, but the body remains blank. All other aspects of Mail appear to be working during this freeze, such as downloading new messages and showing them in the inbox.

2) At the same time, if I try to open a new (uncached) webpage on Safari, the browser scroll bar will start to move to the right, but it stops at about the 10 - 15% point and the main browser window remains blank. A cached page will display like there is no issue.

3) Again, at the same time, when I click-to-open a recipe in Paprika, an App Store recipe database, it behaves exactly like Mail does, where the headers are presented, but the body of the recipe remains blank.

4) Also, while in this state, if I click on the About tab in the System Settings, it remains blank until the situation clears.

While experiencing these issues, it seems that all of my other apps are working as expected. If I wait long enough, and it is a very random amount of time, all of these issues clear at the same time, and the above apps begin to work normally. Other than waiting for these apps to "return from their break," I need to either relaunch the Finder or restart the computer to clear the issue. When doing either, it takes an inordinately long time to relaunch or restart.

This issue occurs on two laptops, in different S/W configuration. They are both new M2 machines running macOS 13.3.1, and one was initialized without the system configurations, when provided that choice during the startup from Time Machine. They both behave the same, though.

WHAT WAS DONE TO TROUBLESHOOT/FIX THE PROBLEM

a) I started both machines in Safe Mode, and the problem persisted. Interestingly, I noticed a background app running in Safe Mode, which should not have happened. I remove it form the Library folders.

b) I uninstalled all S/W that would be running in the background (e.g., Bitdefender, CleanMyMac, iStat Menus, etc), first on one machine, then on the other. I also removed the related single- and multi-user Library files to the trash, when I uninstalled these apps. This effort made no difference in operation.

c) I followed instructions to reinitialize Safari and Mail by removing the prefs files, etc, with no change in behavior. I also uninstalled all ad blockers and anti-trackers in Safari on both machines to have no impact on the problem.

d) I ran Onyx maintenance scripts on both machines to have no change in the issue.

e) I contacted an Apple Genius, who ran through some checklist, then referred me to Senior Support. That person was no help, because I had already tried everything that they had to recommend.

f) I found an older, closed posting here that described exactly what I am experiencing, and the recommendation was to run EtreCheck, but that app found no issues or weird adware.

g) I almost forgot to say that during this condition, there is absolutely no unusual activity in CPU or memory usage. If I wait long enough for the issue to clear, the Activity Monitor has no subsantial changes to any of the top processes.

SUMMARY

I think that I am at wits end at this point. I am about to manually load all docs, bookmarks, etc onto an external drive and wipe one of the machines, prior to a clean OS install without using a Time Machine backup. I am at the point of suspecting old-old system files from 2012 and earlier that have been reloaded and reloaded each time I updated my computers. Although I did go through and try to delete those old files, no change occurred in behavior, other than the frequency of the "breaktimes" for these apps decreased a bit.

Anybody have any good ideas? It would have take much less time to do a full clean install, but I fear that the issue might not go away.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 4:36 PM

Similar questions

13 replies

Apr 25, 2023 8:03 AM in response to Tom Frenock

Here is another update to the documentation of this issue, and now I am wondering about the stability of the basic macOS ...

After my second clean install and with only a couple of non-standard apps loaded on my machine (e.g., Bitdefender and CleanMyMac), again I have had flawless operation. To be sure that I had everything that I wanted from before the clean install, I waited about a week before turning on Time Machine to start backing up again.

To my surprise, after turning on Time Machine, I had exactly the same symptoms of Mail and Safari freezing for some period of time. The Time Machine option was set to hourly backups when this issue recurred. When I set the option to manual backups, there was no freezing. BTW, exactly the same behavior is occurring on my wife's computer. I intend to experiment with setting the backup period to daily and weekly to see if there still are freezing issues, but when set to manual, we are both not getting any freezing.

This is unexpected behavior, and I hope that the macOS developers actually read this stuff. It is looking like they have some issue that needs to be addressed. During the freeze state, I never get one of those windows to report a problem.

Also, I want to reiterate that the iStat Menus issue is still a separate issue. It occurred immediately and without Time Machine working. This Time Machine issue is a different one.

Apr 25, 2023 8:05 AM in response to Tom Frenock

Tom Frenock wrote:

Here is another update to the documentation of this issue, and now I am wondering about the stability of the basic macOS ...

After my second clean install and with only a couple of non-standard apps loaded on my machine (e.g., Bitdefender and CleanMyMac), again I have had flawless operation. To be sure that I had everything that I wanted from before the clean install, I waited about a week before turning on Time Machine to start backing up again.

To my surprise, after turning on Time Machine, I had exactly the same symptoms of Mail and Safari freezing for some period of time. The Time Machine option was set to hourly backups when this issue recurred. When I set the option to manual backups, there was no freezing. BTW, exactly the same behavior is occurring on my wife's computer. I intend to experiment with setting the backup period to daily and weekly to see if there still are freezing issues, but when set to manual, we are both not getting any freezing.

This is unexpected behavior, and I hope that the macOS developers actually read this stuff. It is looking like they have some issue that needs to be addressed. During the freeze state, I never get one of those windows to report a problem.

Also, I want to reiterate that the iStat Menus issue is still a separate issue. It occurred immediately and without Time Machine working. This Time Machine issue is a different one.

Get rid of BitDefender and CleanMyMac. They are not necessary and are notorious for causing problems.

Jun 27, 2023 1:05 PM in response to Tom Frenock

Well, after weeks of observation, I can reliably repeat this condition, and I know what causes it. No, Idris and John, the "junk" that you refer to is not the cause, other than the known iStat Menus issue. Regardless of what is installed, there is no difference in operation with or without these so-called-junk apps, which were all sourced from the Apple App Store. However, when Time Machine runs, this problem occurs.

The seemingly random occurrence was not random at all. I originally had hourly backups in my settings, and if using the computer during the completion of a backup, Mail and Safari would do their freezing thing for some period of time. If one waits long enough, this issue clears, so if backups occur while not using the machine, you might not notice the issue. Also, note that during the backup, all works well until the completion of the backup.

I tried changing to daily, then weekly, then finally doing it manually. The issue always occurs as the Time Machine backup completes and does the clean up. I found that by setting the backups to manual, I can select when this issue will occur. For example, I did a backup today, when I was planning to do leave my computer idle, and on completion of the backup, the issue occurred. Some time later, when I returned, no issue with Mail or Safari. As stated early in this thread, another way to clear the issue is to relaunch the Finder or to restart the computer. In each case, the relaunch and restart take much longer than normal to complete.

I am attempting to convey information to Apple so that they can address this issue, an issue experienced by many users out there. Perhaps it's a waste of my time to document here, but Apple provides this forum to get this type of information about their products ... at least I hope that this is the case. Anyway, I found a problem that deserves a PR at Apple.

Jan 6, 2024 10:50 AM in response to Tom Frenock

I had been seeing the problem of e-mails going blank and Safari not loading pages until after a re-start.

My Mac Mini M2 logic board then failed and after a replacement logic board was fitted, all was well until I started Time Machine backups. I noted the comments here and elsewhere about TM backups and can confirm that stopping the hourly TM backups completely cures the issue for me.

It would appear that something happens just as the TM backup finishes which causes the problem. I have reported in detail to Apple.

Please report the problem here: https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/ the more people that do, the quicker it might get fixed!

John

Apr 18, 2023 5:45 PM in response to Tom Frenock

Well, after a week of flawless operation of my machine, I cautiously added some of the background apps that have been useful. I found the culprit!

Although the Apple App Store sells iStat Menus, when I finally loaded it again, it clobbered my machine, restoring all of those weird symptoms, described in my original post, above. Yes, John, this app is junk. I wrote to them to describe my issues and experience, but I do not expect to ever hear back. They probably know that there are problems with their software and don't know what to do about it.

Off to another clean install, and I am confident that I will not have this issue again.

Apr 10, 2023 5:18 PM in response to Tom Frenock

b) I uninstalled all S/W that would be running in the background (e.g., Bitdefender, CleanMyMac, ...

Be advised that merely uninstalling non-Apple "cleaning" scams — even if performed in strict accordance with their respective instructions (which often don't work anyway) — is generally insufficient to reverse the effects of having used them.

If you really exhausted all other options, then your proposed actions (completely erase the affected Macs and rebuild them from the ground up) are justified. It's what I do with any Mac that has ever been affected by such junk. It saves time.

Rule 1 of Macs is don't install junk. It's the first step in a well-worn path to misery.

Apr 13, 2023 12:15 PM in response to John Galt

Yep, a clean install is a good idea. For anyone else out there with these crazy issues, although it seems like a daunting exercise, a clean install takes way less time than trying to identify the root causes of the whacky issues.

On another note, the clean install uncovered another issue, dating back to the early 2000s. I discovered that I had two Apple IDs, one for the original iTunes Store and a different one for the App Store, which did not exist until 2008 or later.

Apr 19, 2023 11:16 AM in response to Tom Frenock

My apologies to Bjango. They did answer my note identifying them as the source of my issues. They sent the following reply:

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your email.

We are aware of some freezing issues and have been working on an update we hope should help.

Can you please try installing the following update and let us know if you experience any off the same issues: [Note: Apple does not permit the link to be included here, but it is for a newer, unreleased version of iStat Menus v6.1217]

Kind regards,

Bjango Support

Although I would ordinarily be interested in helping with this type of thing, I politely declined, because of already spending so much time on this issue. I am almost back to normal again, with my second clean install nearly complete. I am getting to be pretty good at it.

Jan 2, 2024 5:30 AM in response to Tom Frenock

I am having the same problem and it started with the purchase of a new iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021 running Ventura. Never had the problem on the previous generation iMac running Monterey. And I don't have iStatMenus or BitDefender or CleanMyMac installed and never had them installed at any time.

I am running Time Machine hourly. Problem also happening on my wife's new iMac, same model. I just asked her to check. Time Machine happened to be "connecting to disk". Both Mail and Safari exhibited the same behavior as described in this post. So this is a MacOS problem, and, quite frankly, it's appalling that Apple hasn't fixed this, given the fact that Ventura is now up to version 13.6.3

Mail & Safari "take a break"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.