Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Desktop Stacks setting suddenly changed, what caused that, Ventura 13.6

-macOS Ventura 13.6, Desktop; Safari 16.6 (18615.3.12.11.2)

-My gmail-composition-window (webmail) turned black at top, which  progressed downward till filled entire window, then most of my "Desktop Stack" folders  suddenly reorganized at right of my Desktop: from "sort by Kind" to "sort by Date," creating new folders and titles.  The black screen area showed short lines of blue, red and white, which moved around.  Couldn’t view Inbox till 10-20 clicks on area where my personal icon should display ,for LogOut. Eventually Logged Out.

-What caused the blackening and change of Stack settings?  Is it Malware? Next, at Apple Support, using a link to an article, 1st page loaded in html-format; next link loaded in normal format. Any solutions?

-If I simply change my "Desktop-Stacks-Setting" back to Sort by Kind, will I not lose any files, and they simply be reorganized to Kind-of-File Folders?

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 1:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 8:29 AM

edithfromor wrote:

-My gmail-composition-window (webmail) turned black at top, which  progressed downward till filled entire window, then most of my "Desktop Stack" folders  suddenly reorganized at right of my Desktop: from "sort by Kind" to "sort by Date," creating new folders and titles.  The black screen area showed short lines of blue, red and white, which moved around.  Couldn’t view Inbox till 10-20 clicks on area where my personal icon should display ,for LogOut. Eventually Logged Out.

-What caused the blackening and change of Stack settings?  Is it Malware? Next, at Apple Support, using a link to an article, 1st page loaded in html-format; next link loaded in normal format. Any solutions?

-If I simply change my "Desktop-Stacks-Setting" back to Sort by Kind, will I not lose any files, and they simply be reorganized to Kind-of-File Folders?

ref: Use desktop stacks on Mac - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2023 8:29 AM in response to edithfromor

edithfromor wrote:

ref: Use desktop stacks on Mac - Apple Support

To trouble shoot further you can:

—A SafeBoot Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Does a quick disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, third party system modifications and system accelerations are disabled.

Login and test. Reboot as normal and test. Caches get rebuilt automatically.

This test will tell you if third party interference; most* extensions etc are not loaded in safe boot mode.

—Test issue in another user (or guest user) account Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support

This will tell you if it a universal issue or isolated to your user/admin account. 

unplug all third party peripherals when testing

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Oct 9, 2023 8:26 PM in response to leroydouglas

Can finally reply:

1a. I couldn’t reply when my Apple-ID failed, after reporting my Desktop Stacks changed to 'Sort by Date' vs my setting of 'Sort by Kind.'

b. I followed the steps you advised, and found that the problem of 'Today' Folder always loading as 'Open' after every LogIn did repeat when starting macOS 13.6 in Safe Mode. 

c. Also Noted that my Internet Security App didn’t load in Safe Mode, so that was ruled out.

d. I started in Safe Mode again, with all peripherals unplugged, printer etc >   Still the 'Today' Folder loaded as 'Open.'  (I don’t use a 'Guest' account, nor VPN.)

2a. In another article, for trouble shooting problems on a Mac, I was reminded to check in Activity Monitor for any unusual usage of CPU, etc, and for anything one didn’t recognize.  

b. In Activity Monitor, I saw "NewsToday2" which triggered my recall of just days prior, in an online search, I’d been asked to Turn-On that same "Apple News Widget" in order to see the page I’d linked to.   (Was this triggered by malware, or some false-positive acting like malware I’d read about in a Mac Blog, causing similar action?  Of course, when I now search for that blog, I can’t find the posting.)

c1. Opening Notification Center drop-down menu, I saw the News+ App was loaded.  Rt-Click I saw options to 'Edit,' or 'Remove' the News-Widget.

2. I used 'Remove Widget' > immediately the 'Today’ folder disappeared from my Desktop—only 'Yesterday' and other by-Date folders remained. >

3. Inside the Notifications Center, the box for News+ was gone. 

4. Future LogIns of macOS displayed only the other by-Date folders. 

____

5a. Chose to try to add News+ Widget back to Notifications Center,, via Edit Widgets >  clicked on News in Lft-Margin of Edit dialog > choice of 2 news articles displayed and would open.  But I had to Drag them to the Notification drop-down > where ea displayed separately, and not within a single News-Box, as prior to Removal of News-widget.  > Immediately the 'Today' folder appeared on the desktop again.  >

b. Chose to Remove those 2 news-icons from the Notification Center and when completed >  the 'Today' folder again disappeared from the Desktop !  > I concluded that the Apple-News-Wdiget had caused the problem on my macOS Ventura 13.6.  

3a. I contacted Apple Support who assisted me in resetting my Apple ID, after my attempt to ReSet it had also failed. 

b. Apple Support advised that I just go ahead with DLd and Install of macOS Sonoma, "it would correct any problems." 

c. I did go to Restore-Mode and run FirstAid Tool from Disk Utility, to be sure my disk was clean, prior to DLd and Install Sonoma OS, via System Settings/Software Update (later). 

(Apple Support thought the 'FirstAid step was unnecessary with macOS 14.0.')

4.  Long ago in Ventura or Monterey versions of macOS, I’d removed the New+ Widget from Notifications Center.  Whatever caused the Apple News+ Widget to be re-activated in my Notification Center, was that malicious code to get us to UpGrade as soon as possible when a newer macOS is/soon-to-be available?   (Sometimes we have other pressing matters to attend to.)  

5. So far, my problem seems solved by upgrading to macOS Sonoma, 14.0.    Thank you for your suggestions.  

Oct 10, 2023 4:16 AM in response to edithfromor

You need to be careful with Desktop stacks and make certain that none are accidentally selected in the Finder before issuing keyboard shortcuts that you believe are directed to another running application. I have now changed the stacks from Group by Kind to one of the Date options at least twice now, and still don't remember what application or keystroke I used to do that. I just right-click on the Desktop and select Stacks : Group by Kind to fix the mess.

Oct 10, 2023 9:36 PM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for your information re using self-created shortcuts with Stacks, but that doesn't apply to my case. I never have created my own keyboard-shortcuts. I also use Rt-Clk Desktop to reach 'Stacks' and 'Group by' selections.

So far, using macOS Sonoma, and having NO 'News+' in my Notifications Center, the Stack settings have remained stable, by Kind, as I had selected.

Desktop Stacks setting suddenly changed, what caused that, Ventura 13.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.