Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new phone - setup needs a backup to add to new phone

I need to backup my old iphone and then use that backup to transfer everything to my new phone. I was told to do a backup using iCloud, but I don't have enough space in iCloud to do so and don't want to upgrade storage. Can I do the whole process using a full backup from iTunes stored locally on my PC?

iPhone 8, 16

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 1:37 PM

Hello apple32470,

Depending on the iOS running on your older iPhone, you may be able to use Quick Start to help transfer data without needing to rely on backups. That is outlined at Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you do have an iTunes backup, then you can use that as well. The steps for how to restore the backup can be found at Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support.

If you have questions on those steps, just let us know.

Cheers!

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2023 1:37 PM in response to apple32470

Hello apple32470,

Depending on the iOS running on your older iPhone, you may be able to use Quick Start to help transfer data without needing to rely on backups. That is outlined at Use Quick Start to transfer data to a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If you do have an iTunes backup, then you can use that as well. The steps for how to restore the backup can be found at Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support.

If you have questions on those steps, just let us know.

Cheers!

Apr 13, 2023 4:21 PM in response to apple32470

apple32470,

You may be eligible to create a temporary iCloud backup (regardless of your available storage) with the purchase of your new iPhone 14.

Follow these steps on your iPhone 8 to see if you're prompted to create a temporary backup.

1. Go to Settings > General.
2. Scroll down and tap Transfer or Reset [Device].
3. Under "Prepare for New [Device]," tap Get Started.
iPhone showing the Prepare for New iPhone screen
4. If you see "iCloud Backup is Turned Off," tap Turn On Backup to Transfer.
5. If you don't have enough iCloud storage, you'll see a message that says you're eligible to get free extra iCloud storage. Tap Continue.
• If you don't see this message, then you have enough iCloud storage to back up your iPhone or iPad to iCloud.
6. Wait for the backup to complete.

Get temporary iCloud storage when you buy a new iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

The Apple Support article we linked above has instructions that will show you how to restore the backup to your new iPhone 14 once complete.

If you don't see the option to create a temporary iCloud backup, and you'd still like to learn about the size of your iCloud backup, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Manage Account Storage > Backups > [this device], and wait for Next Backup Size to calculate.

We hope this helps!

Regards.

Apr 13, 2023 5:41 PM in response to apple32470

Thanks for following up apple32470,

While an iCloud backup doesn't back up as much as one done on a Mac or Windows PC, you can still get a rough idea of how much space will be used by tapping Settings > General > iPhone Storage. While a backup could be less than what is shown here, it shouldn't be larger and that can help you plan.

You can check out this guide to know more about what is actually backed up in iCloud: What does iCloud back up?

Hope that helps.

Take care.

new phone - setup needs a backup to add to new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.