Blank screen on MacBook after using iPad as sidecar

There's an annoying bug with sidecar use, where if you don't disconnect the sidecar (instead just shutting your MacBook screen and walking away for a few hours) when you come back to it, the MacBook is just blank and needs a reboot.

Firstly, it'd be better if Apple just removed the bugs from its software.

Secondly, is there a way I can 'wake' the MacBook screen up? Or rather, make the MacBook 'refresh' its display without having to reboot the whole machine?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 10:10 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue with your MacBook's display after using Sidecar with your iPad. While it's best to disconnect Sidecar properly to avoid encountering this problem, there are a few things you can try to wake up your MacBook's screen.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Press the power button on your MacBook to put it to sleep and then wake it up again by pressing any key or the power button again.
  2. Try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your MacBook. Here's how to do it:
  3. a. Shut down your MacBook.
  4. b. Press and hold the Shift + Control + Option keys on the left side of the keyboard, then press and hold the power button for a few seconds.
  5. c. Release all the keys and turn on your MacBook normally.
  6. Reset the NVRAM or PRAM on your MacBook. Here's how to do it:
  7. a. Shut down your MacBook.
  8. b. Press the power button to turn on your MacBook, and then immediately press and hold the Option + Command + P + R keys together.
  9. c. Keep holding the keys until your MacBook restarts and you hear the startup sound twice.

If none of the above steps work, you may need to restart your MacBook to resolve the issue.

I hope this helps!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2023 10:10 PM in response to UncleJaysus

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue with your MacBook's display after using Sidecar with your iPad. While it's best to disconnect Sidecar properly to avoid encountering this problem, there are a few things you can try to wake up your MacBook's screen.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Press the power button on your MacBook to put it to sleep and then wake it up again by pressing any key or the power button again.
  2. Try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your MacBook. Here's how to do it:
  3. a. Shut down your MacBook.
  4. b. Press and hold the Shift + Control + Option keys on the left side of the keyboard, then press and hold the power button for a few seconds.
  5. c. Release all the keys and turn on your MacBook normally.
  6. Reset the NVRAM or PRAM on your MacBook. Here's how to do it:
  7. a. Shut down your MacBook.
  8. b. Press the power button to turn on your MacBook, and then immediately press and hold the Option + Command + P + R keys together.
  9. c. Keep holding the keys until your MacBook restarts and you hear the startup sound twice.

If none of the above steps work, you may need to restart your MacBook to resolve the issue.

I hope this helps!

Blank screen on MacBook after using iPad as sidecar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.