Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to upgrade my iMac

I want to use the display from my iMac with an Apple Mini - can this be done?

I was told by a person at the Apple helpline (voice) that all I would have to do is plug a Thunderbolt cable from the AppleMini to a Thunderbolt port on the iMac(mid 2011 and working fine just orphaned by Apple). Simple but my brain says that this will not work as the display is still connected to the iMac computer. The display is also connected to the power supply so the computer must be disconnected somehow.

Earlier displays & monitors

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 11:37 AM

That will not work because the latest Mac mini’s do not support using an iMac as a display in Target Display Mode.

carefully read > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

On the bright side, you can connect and use most an aftermarket display with the Mac mini.

see > Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2023 11:37 AM in response to Star3825

That will not work because the latest Mac mini’s do not support using an iMac as a display in Target Display Mode.

carefully read > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

On the bright side, you can connect and use most an aftermarket display with the Mac mini.

see > Connect a display to Mac mini - Apple Support

I want to upgrade my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.