Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I download the SD version of an iTunes HD purchase?

I have purchased several movies from Apple in HD and downloaded them to my MacBook. I want to sync them to my iPad but don't want to take up more space than necessary. I would like to download the SD version (in addition to the HD version) on my MacBook so that I can choose which to transfer to the iPad.

I used to be able to choose which version of a purchase to download, but now I cannot find that ability. I want to download it one time to my MacBook so I can add it to my phone, iPad, wife's iPad, etc. without having to download it multiple times.

Please point me to the proper location in the TV app for macOS Ventura 13.3.1

Our iPads are a 6th gem running iPadOS 16.4.1 and an iPad Air2 running 15.7.4

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 11:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2024 5:46 AM

Not sure if this helps but here how I do it, currently on a Macbook Pro 16, running sonoma.

1.) Open TV app

2.) Go to Settings.

3.) Go to Playback

4.) Under Drop down menu for Download options, Select: Most Compatible SD(480p)

5.) Download which ones you want in SD and switch back to HD whenever needed.

Hope this Helps

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2024 5:46 AM in response to Crash825

Not sure if this helps but here how I do it, currently on a Macbook Pro 16, running sonoma.

1.) Open TV app

2.) Go to Settings.

3.) Go to Playback

4.) Under Drop down menu for Download options, Select: Most Compatible SD(480p)

5.) Download which ones you want in SD and switch back to HD whenever needed.

Hope this Helps

Apr 30, 2023 1:29 PM in response to Crash825

I figured it out! This works on a MacBook Pro M1 (2020) running Ventura 13.3.1 and TV app version 1.3.4.56:

1. Open the TV app
  2. In the top menu choose Account, then Account Settings. Log in if needed.
  3. In the section titled Downloads and Purchases, choose Manage Devices.
  4. Scroll all the way down and under the Features heading, select Purchased.
    1. This is where you can see all of the movies, shows, books, and music you can download. If it doesn't have a cloud icon on it, it is already downloaded. (Same steps as @dialabrain shared at 251259519.)
      1. If there is no cloud and you can't find the file, go to your library. Right click or click the ... for more and choose Get Info (don't locate). Choose the last tab and see where the file used to be (and what it was named). Repeat the steps and choose Locate.
      2. If you still can't locate the file, choose Remove Download. Then you can redownload a new file.
    2. This is also where you can choose to hide specific items from family sharing. To hide an item, hover over it and click the X that appears in the corner. If you have already downloaded it, this does NOT remove it from your device. It only hides it from view in your cloud library (for you and all family sharing members).

Note that you must completely finish the HD download before taking the next step! If you try to download both versions at the same time, only the SD download will happen.

Apr 29, 2023 8:50 AM in response to dialabrain

Thank you dialabrain, but unfortunately this doesn't help. That process is exactly how I used to do it. There is no longer an iTunes store, and within the TV app there is no "Purchased" option (in any section of the app, including the Store tab).

I have checked the Settings and Account Settings within the TV app. I've checked the System Settings on my Mac. I tried looking in places for Family Sharing, as I am also looking for how to manage which Movies/Shows are hidden for my kids but still available to me (not based on rating or using ScreenTime). No luck.

Thank you again for that link, but the info is outdated and unhelpful.

How do I download the SD version of an iTunes HD purchase?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.