why do my displays keep changing order

I have a Mac mini (2023) with M2 chip with two displays. One directly into the HDMI and one is connected via the HDMI port on a USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. Seems whenever I tun on my computer the displays switch order. I want them so I can move the mouse left to right so display order monitor-1 on left, monitor-2 on right. Is there a way to avoid this? It's a minor annoyance to have to go into settings every day and rearrange.

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 6:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 7:49 AM

If it always starts up with the displays reversed, try reversing the connections or the displays.

Another option, is to just let the displays sleep and only restart the Mac mini once a week or when required by updates.

Similar questions

7 replies

May 13, 2023 3:22 PM in response to hcsitas

Changing sleep or "nap" doesn't change anything. But I changed my settings just to be sure that I wasn't wrong.

I wasn't wrong.

Anytime my screens are not active on my computer they go to sleep. I can't keep them on 24/7 because I have a second computer for work plugged in to the same monitors. Not on a splitter, the monitors have HDMI1 and HDMI2.

I have spoken to others who have the same issue. Seems to be an apple thing.

Still need to get a splitter from the computer to see if that helps because then both monitors will be plugged in to one port

why do my displays keep changing order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.